CHAPTER FIFTY

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter fifty

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    SHE WAS EXHAUSTED. The nights were long and sleepless. Nothing seemed to help ease the anxiety in her lungs or the pain in her heart. Two days of no communication made her stomach twist as her mind filled with dark thoughts. Was he okay? Was he even breathing? She knew that they had gotten into a fight, but he had never been so distant with her. She trudged lazily down the sidewalk, dragging her feet over the concrete. She missed him. She felt guilty for getting so upset with him. She should have just kept her mouth shut and dealt with it. It wasn't like he was leaving because he wanted to. He had to. They were expecting him, and he knew that if he said no that he would have stirred up some trouble. She just wished it wasn't like that.

          As she walked, she began to notice a figure in front of her. They were leaning against a street light, scrolling on their phone. She almost recognized that denim jacket immediately. Her steps became more energetic as she moved in, wide eyes focused solely on the body. "...Alan?" she hesitantly called out. When his head snapped up, she found herself transferring into a jog. He stood to his full height and met her halfway, his arms immediately wrapping around her waist and lifting her off of her feet. She buried her nose into his jacket, her eyes involuntarily filling with tears. "I am so sorry," she said, her words muffled by his jacket. She felt her feet hit the ground and then his hand in her hair. Next she felt his lips pressing to her temple, her cheek, her ear. "You were upset," he muttered, taking that moment to wrap his arms tighter around her. "I shouldn't have acted that way," she argued.

          His chin rested comfortably on the top of her head. She pressed herself tight against him, her cheek pressed to the center of his chest. His heartbeat filled her ears and her brain, sending electric shocks to her fingertips. "Baby, you witnessed something horrible. I'm not saying how you acted was right, but I understand why you did." She felt that familiar sting in her cheeks as she bit down, trying to keep herself from crying. "I missed you," she mumbled, fingers digging into the fabric of his jacket. He squeezed her, his breath falling atop her head. "I missed you, too," he admitted. "It was hard to sleep without you." He pressed a kiss to the top of her head, unwinding his arms from around her. His hands stopped to hold her face between them and tilt her head so he could meet her eyes. "Why didn't you call?" she asked, her voice cracking in the slightest. "I was worried. I thought something bad had happened."

          Realization slowly bled across his features. She could feel his thumb twitch against her skin. "I.. I wanted to give you space. I didn't think—" Her hands moved to his neck and she gently pulled him closer until she could press a soft kiss to his frown. "It's okay," she breathed out. "Just... if we're giving each other space, let's at least give text updates. Like, hey, I'm alive." His frown deepened despite the joking lilt in her voice. She smiled gently at his reaction and pressed another kiss to his mouth. "Can I come home tonight?" she asked, changing the subject expertly. Or so she thought. His eyes dropped to their shoes, his teeth taking in his bottom lip. "I can't?" She couldn't mask the sadness from her voice. His eyes snapped back to hers in an instant, a look of regret evident in his sienna eyes. "I'm sorry, baby," he whispered, pressing his forehead against hers.

          "I told Rollie about the wedding.. and they want to throw me a bachelor's party tonight." Her eyes widened as she moved away. She wanted a good look at him. "A bachelor's party?" she asked in disbelief. He noticed the discomfort in her expression. "We're having it at the house. We're literally just going to drink and watch movies or some shit." His words did add a little sense of comfort. At least they weren't taking him off somewhere where something could happen. He'd be in their house, safe and sound. She released a heavy exhale and nodded her head. "Okay. That's fine... Just don't tear the house apart. It already needs a little work done." He smiled down at her full of affection and love. He tweaked her nose jokingly, both of them letting out laughs. "I love you," he spoke genuinely, smushing her cheeks together in his palms.