CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter thirty four

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

IT WASN'T UNUSUAL FOR HER TO BE CALLED IN FOR REINFORCEMENT. When Lip got this way, the only person who could really get him out of it was her. So, when Ian called her that morning, she dropped everything and hauled ass over to the Gallagher residence. Seeing Lip up there, so silent, it didn't feel right. "Hey," she spoke in a soft tone, kicking off her shoes. He didn't spare her a glance. She climbed onto the top bunk and crawled over him to the empty side of the bed. "You okay?" As she settled beside him, he finally casted a glance her way. His eyes were empty. "Yeah, yeah. You know, just peachy," he answered, turning back to stare up at the ceiling.

          She frowned. "She really got to you, huh?" Her head hit the pillow beside his as she laid on her back. Their shoulders touched. She could feel his fingertips in her hair. He sighed, chest deflating with the action. "I guess this means game over, right?" She peeked over at the boy and noticed the slight pull at his lips. He shook his head with a breathy chuckle. "I guess so. One of us is having a baby." Phoebe drummed her fingers over her stomach. This was insane. The idea of Lip having a baby... it was baffling. Not that he would be a bad father. No, Phoebe knew that he would be an amazing father. She had no qualms about that, but Karen... Was she stable enough to be a mother?

          "Do you think its yours?" He shuffled onto his side to face her, resting his head over his hand. She mirrored his actions, locking eyes with him. His shoulder lifted in a half shrug. "It could be, but it could also be anyone else's, you know? It's not like we were exclusive or anything." Phoebe hesitantly brushed her fingers through his hair. Her touch was featherlight. It tickled his hairline. Her eyes faltered from his intense stare to the curls atop his head. He released a shaky breath. "What do you feel?" she asked, her palm sliding to cup his cheek. He leaned into her warm touch. "Sick," he admitted. "Happy?" She nodded silently. His eyes fluttered closed at her gentle touch. "I don't know."

          She leaned forward just enough for her head to rest on his pillow. Instinctively, his arm came to wrap around her waist. "If it is mine, she won't even let me see it." She drug her fingers through his hair slowly, in a calming manner. He breathed a sigh at the feeling, his warm breath hitting her face. "Would you want to? Being a parent is a big responsibility." A tension grew between his brows. Would he? His whole life, he swore that he'd never become Frank. He wouldn't get some girl pregnant and ignore his kid's existence. He didn't want to be the deadbeat asshole who cared about nothing other than himself. But did he want to give up his life — his future — for a baby that might not even be his?

          "You wanted to have a baby not too long ago," he muttered. Her thumb followed the curve of his cheekbone. His fingers twisted into her shirt. He pulled her even closer, their noses bumping together. Her heart rattled away in her chest at their proximity. "I've changed," she whispered. He could hear the stutter in her breath. He could feel her heart racing. Being so close to her was once so natural, but now it felt anxious. Having her so close, her scent flooding his senses, her breath hitting his face, it made his chest tighten. His eyes fluttered open hesitatingly. "Yeah," he sighed. His hand slipped up her waist, flat against her side. She shuddered at the feel of his cold fingers against her skin. "You have."

"I'm not the only one who's changed," she fired back. Her hand moved from his cheek to the front of his face. He laughed at the way she pushed his head away. "What is your deal?" she questioned. "I know we were comfortable before, but you're getting way too comfortable getting in my face." He rolled back over onto his back, letting his hand fall over his eyes. He didn't have an answer. Maybe the deal with Karen was making him regret what choices he didn't make. He didn't have to fall in love with her. He could have fallen in love with Phoebe. If he had just manned up and made a move. But it was too late now. Both of his best friends were slipping away from him.