CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter forty four

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    SHE STEPPED UP TO THE BROKEN WINDOW IN SURPRISE. It didn't look like anyone was there anymore. "Ian?" she called out, pushing open the door carefully. The bell didn't even jingle. "You here?" The door closed behind her as she entered the trashed store. "Jesus Christ. Someone got angry." She picked up a can curiously, turning it over in her hand. She placed it back onto the shelf, bending over to pick up more cans. "Ian Clayton Gallagher," she called out once more, setting the cans she picked up onto the shelf. "Phoebe Ji Lim." Her head snapped up to spot Ian coming out of the back room. He looked tired, like he hadn't been sleeping. She looked at him with sympathetic eyes. "You know who did this?" she asked, gesturing to the mess around her.

          The ruckus outside was getting louder. Two men were now standing at the iron hanging from one window. "Linda got some guys to help out," Ian explained, pointing toward the duo. "But, uh, yeah." She stood there, hands now fitted against her hips. "And who is it? I've been told I have a nasty punch. I'm not afraid of a little conflict." Ian was quick to wave off her offer. "Trust me, you do not want to fuck with this person." She stared intently at the red haired boy. He only began to pick up where he had left off, where she had left off. "Are you in trouble?" she asked, a worried tilt to her voice. "Do you need money? I can spare some, you know. You're like my little brother."

          "Fuck me. Hey." Both Ian and Phoebe turned to find Lip in the doorway, blue eyes fluttering around the room. Every time she laid eyes on that boy, her chest tightened. Emotions blossomed like flowers in her body, filling it with thorns that stabbed at her heart and lungs. He and Ian, however, seemed to be in good spirits with one another. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and tore her eyes away from the boy. She bent down opposite of Ian to help pick up the cans, their heads most likely too close together to prevent bumping. Neither minded, though. If they bumped heads, they would laugh it off with tender rubs to the injured area before getting right back to work. "Was it the skinheads again?" Lip asked with a hint of amusement.

          Ian's lips pressed into a tight line. "Mandy's dad heard the news," he finally answered, shoulders tensing. There was a tightness to his voice. "Wait, he found out about Mickey?" Phoebe asked, her voice gentle. She looked at Ian in fear. "Nah. Mandy's pregnant," he responded. He looked irritated. She frowned. Lip stepped further into the room, seemingly shocked at the news. "Well, shit," he replied, leaning against the counter. Phoebe leaned back, placing the cans onto the shelf. She glanced over her shoulder to Lip, curious. "Well, congratulations," he jokingly said. He placed a cigarette between his teeth. "I didn't know you switched teams." Ian rolled his eyes. "Now there's two promised Gallagher babies," Phoebe added, getting a point in her direction.

          "He told Linda that he's gonna put my feet in that meat slicer and work his way up," Ian snapped, pointing toward the object in question. His statement brought back the seriousness of the situation. Ian was in trouble. Lip shook his head. "Linda call the cops?" Ian scoffed. "Think she wants the place firebombed?" Phoebe shook her head as she stood up. Her legs had been hurting a lot recently since she had picked up more shifts at the store. "Shit," she cursed, "have you talked to her?" Ian shook his head in response. Phoebe wanted to hug him at that point. He looked scared. Terry Milkovich was after him. He was smart to be scared. "Did Mandy say whose it is?" Lip suddenly asked, surprising both Phoebe and Ian.