CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter thirty nine

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

SOMETIMES PHOEBE WAS GRATEFUL THAT ALAN HAD A JOB THAT REQUIRED HIS FULL ATTENTION. Ever since the other night, she hadn't been able to get away from him. They were constantly together, already discussing things for a wedding and trying to figure out a day to have it. It wasn't that she was regretting making this choice, it just all happened so fast. A little part of her never even expected him to agree. She sat on the couch, the television playing quietly in the background, scrolling through the photos on her cellphone. It was starting to get cooler as the seasons got closer to changing.

          The only thing she hated was surprise guests. Three knocks on the door tore her attention away from one picture in particular. She leaned over the couch to see if the locks were turning, only to find it eerily silent. It seemed that it wasn't Alan on his way home. She got up off of the couch and wrapped the throw blanket around her to hide the fact she was completely pants less. She scuffled toward the door and unlocked it in record time. "Debs, if this is you again—" Her sentence was cut short when she spotted Ian and Lip, both bloodied. Their fight, she thought. Jesus.

"You guys look like shit." Ian grinned over at the girl. "Are you gonna let us in? I gotta lay down." His hand was pressed to his gut. Phoebe moved to the side to allow them to enter. "I'm guessing you two are friends again?" She closed the door after them and locked the door. The boys split apart, Ian crashing on the couch and Lip heading to the bathroom. "Maybe?" She followed after Ian and plopped down beside him. She grabbed his face and brought him closer to inspect the damage. "Who won?" He breathed out a chuckle. There was a bruise blossoming under his eye, and a cut on his forehead. It didn't look like it came from a fist.

"He cheated," the redhead admitted. "Hit me with a fucking rock." She rolled her eyes. Typical, she thoughts. "Stay right there. I'll get the first aid kit." Ian leaned back into the couch, legs sprawled out in front of him. She got up and headed for the bathroom. Lip was standing in front of the mirror, looking over his own wounds. He looked a bit more beat up than his younger brother. Once she reached him, she slapped him upside the back of his head. "Ow! What the fuck?" He turned to face the brunette with confusion flooding his blue eyes. "She said no guns, no knives, and no bricks," she hissed. "And yet you hit him in the head with a rock? Seriously?"

He rolled his eyes. He went to turn away and walk out, but she caught him by the arm and brought him back. She used both hands to force him to look at her. There was semi dried blood around his nostril and a bit of swelling around his cheek bone. "Anywhere else hurt?" She withdrew her hands and placed them at her hips. Lip shook his head with a sigh. The way his torso tensed from the exertion was enough evidence that he was in fact injured. Without hesitation, she yanked his shirt up and noticed the bruising around his ribs. "Damn," she breathed out, surprised by the darkness of the injuries. She gently pushed him to turn. The bruising continued to his back.

"Did you get kicked by a fucking horse?" Her tone was teasing, but the bruises worried her. He scoffed. "Funny how you're assessing our bruises when you've got some of your own." She ignored his cheeky remark and let his shirt fall back down. "There's frozen green beans in the freezer. Get those out and use it on your stomach. And sit beside your brother." He ruffled her hair suddenly, a crooked grin on his features. She quickly shoved his hand away with a mild groan. "Ah, fuck off. Do what your told." He hesitated in his spot. His eyes trailed over the trail of hickeys starting from under her ear to beneath her neckline. There were times where she would show up with a hickey or two, but this was excessive. It made him curious.