CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter forty six

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    THERE'S A DISTINCT SMELL INSIDE OF A BRIDAL SHOP. It's sweet, like perfume, with the familiar scent of fabric softener. Sometimes you'd catch a whiff of those food scented candles; vanilla, gingerbread, caramel. It was warm, not too warm, but warm enough to sting her wind dried eyes. Accompanying her was Fiona Gallagher, Debbie Gallagher, Mandy Milkovich, and her mother. "Welcome! You must be the future Dominguez." She was a small, petite woman with wild curls atop her head. She smiled wide, showcasing a row of perfect teeth, her hands holding a folder of papers. Phoebe smiled happily, confirming her accusation with a nod of her head. "When you called, you said that you had two options from our website. Do you still want to try those on?"

          "Yes, please," she replied. Debbie stood next to her side, her arm tucking between Phoebe's. She smiled down at the young girl. The day had finally come. She'd be trying on these dresses of dreams, living a fairytale fantasy. "Follow me and we'll get you a dressing room. Are you the family or bridesmaids?" The question was turned to the women behind her, eyes running along the dresses hanging from the rows of metal rods. "Bridesmaids," Phoebe answered. "And my, um, my mom." Millie's eyes widened for a split second before a smile overtook her features. "Ah, okay! I'll get you guys a place to sit." She had already started to move before she finished her sentence. They all followed close behind, though Phoebe seemed to stay back. She was looking for one more person. "Where the hell is Lip," she muttered to herself, staring out the front door made of glass.

          "Pheebs." Her head turned sharply to find Fiona waiting for her, hand outstretched. Hurriedly, the younger girl took it and followed the rest of them to their space. It was further back. A few chairs were sitting there before a makeshift stage. Three floor length mirrors surrounded it. "I'll have someone get the dresses. If you'd like to look over more, I can show you around the shop." Phoebe took off her bag and passed it over to Fiona. "I'd love to look around if that's okay." The idea of finding the perfect dress left tingles in her fingers. It made her stomach erupt with butterflies. "My name is Holly, by the way." Phoebe nodded her head. "Nice to meet you, ma'am." Holly scoffed. "No need for that," she teased. "I'm not much older than you, anyway."

          They were surrounded by dresses, shoes, and veils. There was even a corner for bachelorette / bachelor party favors, or Mrs. and Mr. items for home. It was the perfect place for a wedding. She bit down on her bottom lip and let her fingers graze over the material. There were so many words she didn't understand. Chiffon, applique, tulle. Did she want sleeves, spaghetti strap, sleeveless? She wasn't even sure if she wanted a floor length dress. She could wear a pantsuit. There's ball gowns, ruffle skirts, mermaid skirts. Would she want a train to follow her? "A majority of the time, we pick out the dresses that we think you'd like. I prefer to let the bride get a look first and then start that process. It helps me get a better feel of your preferences." Phoebe nodded along to Holly's words. She was so entranced by the array of designs.

          "What are you big no nos? Sequins? Fish tail?" She scrunched up her nose at both suggestions. "Yes, yes, and I don't really like sheer fabric. I'd also prefer not to bust a tit out in the ceremony." She grimaced at her own words. "I'm sorry. I don't really want a plunging neckline." Holly waved her off with a smile. "Girl, I grew up in the South Side. Don't even worry about it." The two stopped near a rack of big dresses. "These are more simple. There's no intricate lace work, no ruffles, no scratchy sequins. These are elegant, clean." Holly moved to the first dress. It was an off the shoulder dress with long sleeves. The bodice was plain, ending at the skirt with a harsh line. It almost looked like a separate corset. "The skirt is a tulle fabric. It doesn't puff out when you stand, but if you want that effect, we sell hoop skirts." Phoebe was quick to shake her head. "No, no. I don't think I'd go for the Disney Princess look."