CHAPTER SIXTEEN

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter sixteen

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    HEARING SOME SCREAMING OUTSIDE OF THE GALLAGHER RESIDENCE WASN'T UNHEARD OF. But the raucous noises coming through the window cracks and the weathered door overpowered any sibling argument Phoebe had ever heard.  She raced up the steps in fear of what she would find. Was someone dead? Did Carl finally snap and off Debbie? So many questions swirled within her as she pushed open the front door. The scene was far worse than a crime scene. Instead, Fiona and Veronica bounced onto the couch while Frank was gaining on Carl.

          "What's going on here?" she asked, staring strangely over at Lip and Karen. Lip's eyebrows raised, but he didn't answer. Instead, Frank ran up to the girl. "Phoebe, my beautiful bilingual," he announced, grabbing the girl by her arms. "We're racing. Loser has to chug a gallon of orange juice." She looked intrigued by the punishment. Fiona was seemingly out of breath, her head turning to look toward the Korean girl. "You're fast as hell. You would smoke these losers." Her face was growing hot as eyes began to train on her. She hadn't even noticed the new face standing with her arms outstretched. "I could beat her," Carl challenged, crossing his arms over his chest confidently.

The room erupted in noise as everyone showed their amazement by Carl's challenge. Frank's hands were on his head as a wide smile overtook his wrinkled feature. "You're gonna let him say that?" he asked Phoebe, eyebrows raised. She looked between Frank and Carl for a moment before smiling. "Shit, why not? Bring it." Applause exploded within the room as Carl skipped toward Phoebe. "Up the stairs, through the hall, down the back stairs, and back here. No pushing, tripping, or hitting. Carl," Fiona warned in her explanation. Carl glared at his sister, though he hated to admit that he could never actually hurt Phoebe. She was part of the family.

Frank ushered the two to the end of the stairs. He placed a hand on each of their forehead before pretending to say a quick prayer. "Don't break a hip," Carl taunted Phoebe, eyeing her as he got ready. She scoffed. "Okay, squirt. Try not to cry when I beat you." Kevin cheered on Carl while Veronica took Phoebe's side. She could vaguely hear Debbie routing for Carl, though she knew Frank was throwing her a thumbs up. Her hand rested on her knee as she got into ready position. "Hope you like orange juice." A grin plastered on her face at Carl's jest.

"Three..." Fiona knelt on the couch, overlooking the two as they bent further. Phoebe's fingers twitched at her knee. "Two..." She noticed Carl's foot sliding a bit as he tried to gain traction. The floor was never clean, though they did make a habit of vacuuming when they could. She hoped the dust wouldn't trip either of them up going up the stairs. "One!" Both Phoebe and Carl took off, the girl gaining speed as she took the stairs carefully. Carl was right on her heels, though, peeking around her to get an advantage. The house was echoing with cheers, deafening the runners from everything around them but their own heartbeats.

Clothes had been thrown in the floor, probably from the last round, and Phoebe squealed as she leapt over a pair of discarded boxers. Carl laughed maniacally as he passed her for just a moment, but Phoebe was fast. Everyone thought she'd be a track star. She'd always win the races back in middle school during break. It was something that the school wanted her to focus on besides her grades, instead of hanging out with who she did. They navigated through the hallway with ease. Phoebe noticed the pink tint to Carl's face as he focused on the task at hand. It was adorable. Finally, she jumped over a discarded shirt and grabbed onto the stair railing for a boost. Carl was shocked.