Chapter 68: Rheinhold

Start from the beginning

Dathan accepted the glass and downed it immediately. "It helps greatly! Except that I still need to know where she is."

"She did not leave you any message for a reason. And that reason, you may ask, is she does not want you come and find her."

"Bullocks!"

"I know it is hard to accept but that is the truth-" he couldn't finish the sentence as his brother's fist came down on him.

"You saw her that day! She welcomed me in her arms. She was prepared to be with me. So do not tell me that she left all that without telling me why!"

Damian touched his jaw and felt the pain ebbed. Perhaps it was time to tell him. "Fine, she did say something before leaving. I only meant to delay you until she made it safely."

"Finally brother. You are sputtering something useful."

"She left because things here were a chaos."

"And where is she now?"

They held each other's gaze. "She's in Habsburg."
***

The next day

Em welcomed Cassandra on her chambers and read Ros' missive. It seemed that she had to go on ahead because of some important matter but has left her lady servant to accompany her for the journey.

"I can help you pack,miss."

"That is generous of you, Cassie. But I hardly even unpacked upon arriving here."

"Oh, of course. Well, I suppose we can take them trunks and all?"

"I only have two. But yes, let us do that. But first, I must inform his majesty."

Cassie nodded and waited for her to pen a letter for the prince. After folding the paper, she gave it to her outstretched hands. While she waited for the response, Em pulled out another sheet and began to compose a letter for Dathan. It was time to let him know that she was well. She hardly finished the first sentence when her door burst open.

"Your highness..." Em curtsied. "This is unexpected."

Bastien ignored that last bit and ordered the servants to close the door. He went to her window and said nothing.

"May I ask-"

"I shall ask first." He snapped and turned to her. "What is your relationship with the crown prince?"

"I...well, he is a friend, your highness."

"Merely a friend?"

"A close and dear friend. He saved me multiple times when I was in trouble."

He nodded and tried to absorb her words. "He did not try to seduce you?"

Her cheeks flushed and it was answer enough.

"Then he must have done the righteous thing, hasn't he?"

Em raised her eyes. "W-what righteous thing?"

"Marriage of course. Do not tell me that he had debauched you and has not even offered marriage? Then why are you here?" He took a step towards her. "Are you here upon his request? To become his mistress?"

"No!" She yelped and realized how loud she had been. "I mean, no your highness. The prince has not debauched—I meant, he had done nothing that severe. And I am not his mistress, either. I am only here because he was helping me."

Bastien said nothing for awhile. His mind seemed to be in tangles today and Em had to receive its nasty ends. He finally calmed down and took her hands, "I apologize for the boldness, Miss Roderick. I am not a morning person and things have been quite...in a disarray, to say."