Why Being Mute is a Good Thing Sometimes. (Edited)

Karl.

I ran as fast as I could. I didn't want to be caught by the hunters. Not now. Not ever.

Suddenly pain flared through my leg. I dropped to the ground and held my leg. An arrow lay about three feet in front of me. Its tip covered in blood.

My blood.

"So, we finally caught you." I was harshly pushed into the ground. My hands was grabbed and tightly tied behind me. Crossed at the wrists to make it harder to escape.

I was then yanked to my feet, and I felt something shoved into my mouth cutting off my ability to speak. The person holding me roughly turned me to face the lead huntsman.

"You're the one that's been stealing my food." The huntsman said. "Drag him with us." They tied me to one of the horses and made me walk along with them.

It took an hour to get back to the manor. They rode at my pace and thankfully didn't say anything to me or to each other.

The huntsman dismounted and quickly untied me, then walked me up to the manor owner.

I obviously didn't want to, so I struggled to get free. The huntsman smacked me a crossed the head and told me to stop.

I growled and continued. The huntsman ignored me, walking me to a large door he knocked. Come in. a voice said from the inside. The huntsman pushed open the door and then me inside.

The room was spacey, with a large window overlooking the property. But I didn't get to look, before the huntsman shoved me to my knees and bowed to the man sitting the big chair behind the desk.

The man looked as cruel as the huntsman. "Father, we caught the thief. He was outside the garden running back toward the forest." The huntsman lied.

He really had caught me sleeping this morning and so I ran and never came near the garden. The master of the house looked me over and frowned.

"Sclatt, dont lie. I saw the whole thing. Let it speak." It was at that moment I decided that I was mute.

Sclatt removed the gag and stood back to let his father talk to me. "What is your name?" the master asked.

I shook my head, then opened and closed my mouth and shook my head again. Hoping they got the message. Sclatt stepped forward and slapped me.

I managed not to make a sound. "Are you mute?" the master asked. I glanced at Sclatt then nodded. 

"Untie him." The master said. Sclatt growled but leaned down and released my hands. "Stand and tell me what your name is." The master said. I looked at Sclatt, standing up.

Signing with my hands I told him. My name is Karl. The master nodded. "Now your age, and what type of animal you are."

I thought for the right hand motions, then signed. I am fifteen. I had nowhere else to go. And I am a... I stopped. The master nodded to his son.

Sclatt turned and punched me. I hissed and finished my signing. A cat. The master stood at this. I stepped back scared of what he'd do.

Sclatt saw my action and grabbed me. The master walked over and grabbed my chin turning it up toward him. "You are a special one, then, arent you? Take him down to the kitchens and get him fed."

The master stood back and looked at his son. His son nodded and retied my hands. He bowed to his father then pushed me out of the room.

The kitchen was a large hot room, maids and cooks ran around the kitchen under the command of a very fat man with a temper. "Master Cook!" the masters son called over the commotion.

The fat man walked up with a growl. "Yes, master Sclatt?" he drawled boredly. "My dad wants this fed." Sclatt, pushed me forward to the cook.

The cook made no move to grab me. "Of course." The cook said blankly. Sclatt and his friends walked away, leaving me in the busy kitchen.

"Hanna!" a girl came running up. "Yes, Master Cook?" she said. "Take this and get it fed." he said pointing at me, then walked away.

Hanna smiled at me and grabbed my arm. Pulling me into another room, it was small and mostly empty, she left me and returned a minute later with some food.

"Sam, could you help me please. And untied him." She said as a boy walked by. He stopped, nodded, untied my hands, and walked at when his name was called.

Hanna nodded to me and then watched as I ate the food quickly. "Are you still hungry? Do you want me to go get more?" She asked.

I looked at my hands then signed. Please. She frowned, "Can you not speak?" she asked. I shook my head. "Oh sorry."

She grabbed the dishes but before she could go anywhere, Sclatt came back. "Good your done let's go." He stomped up and gripped my hand. "Thanks for feeding It." He said to Hanna.