WELCOME TO THE LANES.

Once we reached Piltover, it was daytime. We stood above the city, at the edge of the Lanes.

"I heard the bathesphere has a nice view. That could be a good way to get a lay of the land." Caitlyn suggested.

I looked out over the buildings, my hood up and mask now covering a majority of my face, only my eyes visible. Vi was at the edge, looking out over the Lanes, like me.

She paused for some time before speaking. "Too risky." And without another hesitation, she jumped to the depths below, landing on the building adjacent to us with ease. She looked up at us for a millisecond before continuing, running and leaping from building to building.

"What-" Caitlyn ran to the edge, mouth agape.

I chuckled. Classic Vi. I smiled, remembering our heist, that day. Northside. A scientist's apartment.

I winked at Caitlyn, following Vi, letting the Undercity in me escape as I leapt in Vi's path. I looked back at Caitlyn, who was struggling to get off of the first ledge. I chuckled, and jumped down.

Eventually, after much running and chasing Vi, we reached an alleyway. Caitlyn was still behind, but I leapt down the building a few feet away from Vi, watching as she breathed in the scent of the Lanes. Of home. I did the same, recognizing the familiar scent. Without looking at me, she said, "You seem to know how to get around."

"Yeah. Been here before. I don't tell anyone, but I grew up on the southside." I lied, hoping Vi bought it, even though I grew up with her at The Last Drop. Not southside.

Vi didn't get a chance to respond, because at that moment a man whistled at her from a few feet away, in the alley. A woman followed him, giggling. I kept my distance.

The man got up in Vi's face, staring at her threateningly, his breath rustling the hair on Vi's face. All she did was look down at his torso. "Nice jacket." Shit's about to go down.

I calmly watched, leaning against the wall of the alley as Vi punched out the man and woman. She pummeled then with ease, like they were punching bags.

A few short minutes later, she rose, the man's jacket in hand. She moved her neck from side to side, and wiped the blood from her nose. Then she looked at me. "Have you been watching this whole time?" She said, raising an eyebrow as she dusted off the jacket.

"Yeah. You're a good punch." I said, acting as if I didn't already know this. But her fighting skills had improved a tenfold since our teen years. I had to admit, it was attractive. Ugh. Heart, calm yourself.

She scoffed as Caitlyn fell from the building in front of us, panting.

"Welcome to the Lanes." Vi winked at her. A pit of jealousy grew in my stomach. I quickly gathered myself, getting my emotions in check.  Unnoticed by the others.

How could I forget? Ever since Vander picked me up from the street, ever since he introduced me to Vi, I had had a stupid, huge crush on her.

I remembered the moments we shared, when no one was looking. The way she was so gentle towards me, only me. The way, at night, Vi would hold me in the bed we shared. The way I would hold her when she had a nightmare. The way we both played with Powder tigether, just the three of us. Powder. I guess it was Jinx now.

Then it hit me. Vi didn't know about Powder, and I wasn't going to be the one to break it to her.

Suddenly, Caitlyn snapped in my face, bringing me back to reality.

"Sorry." I murmured.

She turned back to Vi. "You almost got me killed! Welcome to the Lanes my ass.."

"My little sister could do that when she was seven." Vi scoffed, walking ahead of us. "All us fissure folk can. Don't you want to blend in?"

Caitlyn turned to me, now that she couldn't patronize Vi. "And you! When were you going to tell me that you could do parkour?" She exclaimed, her accent getting messy.

I put my hands up in mock defense. "Hey, don't blame me for your not knowing me well enough, Caity. I grew up here, remember?" I laughed, punching her shoulder and following Vi.

"Bloody idiots..." I heard her murmur.

I rolled my eyes, chuckling.

The pink head turned back to me, perplexed. I raised my eyebrows at her. "Can I help you?"

"No. Let's go." She kept looking at me. Why? Did she know who I was? I hope not.

———

Vi walked us into a diner. Jericho's. I smiled beneath my mask, remembering all the good food and laughs we used to share here. God, it's been a while since I've been in the Lanes.

She sat down, to Caitlyn's exasperation, and ordered some food from Jericho.

"Oh, Jericho! Have I missed these." She slurped away. She offered some to Caitlyn, who sat beside her, and she declined, looking at the slimy food in disgust. Boy, are you missing out, Cait. Just then Vi snarked the same. "You're missing out." I internally giggled at Vi's antics. I wanted to embrace her, like old times. But I couldn't.

I longed to eat some food, feeling famished, but again, I couldn't. That would require taking my mask off. No can do. This was frustrating.

"Can you not loom over me like that, stranger? It makes me nervous. Jeez, just trying to enjoy a meal here.." She barked in my direction.

"Sorry." I moved over to Caitlyn's side.

"Are you going to question him?" Caitlyn said to Vi, covering her mouth with the flap of her hood.

"About what? The meat?" I said to her.

"She gets it. Definitely not above grade, by the way. The meat. Damn good though." Vi remarked. Me and Caitlyn scoffed.

"No. Not the meat. Silco. His connections? Isn't that why we're here?" Caitlyn hissed.

I rested a hand on her shoulder, nonverbally advising her to chill out.

Vi tiredly put her bowl down. "We're here because I'm hungry. Do you know what prison food is like? No, of course you don't." I turned my face away, trying to contain my laughter. But Caitlyn caught me, smacking my arm.

"Unbelievable. We didn't break you out of jail to eat.... slop! I knew this was a terrible idea, you don't actually know anything, do you?" Caitlyn exclaimed, slamming her hands down on the counter and standing up, turning to me. Vi coolly looked up at her, rolling her eyes. Hot.

Vi ignored her and continued eating. "Mm. Better than I remember." Caitlyn huffed, arms crossed on her chest.

Vi finished up, finally, and gave the bowl back to Jericho. He gave Vi a napkin, which, to our surprise, had a tip on it when flipped over. She looked smugly at us, and got up from the table.

"Hm. Whatever." Caitlyn grumbled.

With that, we both followed Vi into the abyss that is the Undercity.