Chapter 17 : The Painful Recovery (part 2)

Warning: alcohol, fire, panic attack, talking about death

...knowing they had the only thing I had left of you.

———

   Dabi had to admit it, he had missed talking with Muji. Just a little bit, of course, and he wouldn't say it out loud. After five years of being separated, living different lives, the infernal duo was finally back! Well, they weren't planning anything, unlike in the old days, but still! Maybe with a few grams of alcohol in their blood, they could steal some old men, who knew...

"So, what are you going to do now?" Muji asked, a beer in hand, slouched next to him on the couch.
"Dunno."

Dabi hadn't imagined that Brainstorm's death would have affected his life as much as it actually did. Oh, he wasn't personally affected by the said death, he wasn't even close to the guy. However, he knew Izuku felt awful, probably blamed himself for what had happened. So Dabi would have to check on him — to make sure Karma wouldn't die, no other reason — which would take a huge part of his life. Also :

"I'll have to leave that place, since heroes are probably after me." He took a sip from his beer, it was crazy how alcohol could calm him down. Now that he was thinking about it, he'd probably have to buy — steal — some bottles of whiskey, he needed it.

"Welcome to the club..." Muji sighed.
"Still haven't found anything?"
"Nope. Almost all of the money I get is in cash, I don't have a bank account, and I legally don't exist, so it's not that easy to find an apartment."
"That's relatable..."

Living in the underworld didn't only mean rub shoulders with villains all day long, or being one, it also meant you constantly had to make sure the police wouldn't be able to find you, no matter what. In that case, it meant that finding a place to live was one of the hardest things in life. Seriously, even getting away with arson was easier!

"So what are ya' gonna do?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.
"I have no idea... Wait-" She looked like she just had the best idea ever.
"What?"
"You need a place, I need a place? We could search together?"
"As in... to become roommates?" He was honestly confused.
"Yeah! We're both desperate after all, so let's be desperate together!" She shrugged.

The only thing he could do was laugh at that proposition.

"And now you're making fun of me, awesome."
" 'm not." She didn't seem to believe him. "No, seriously. Just- well, I thought you hated me."
Muji took a sip from her beer. "It'd be lying to say I didn't hate you for leaving, at first but, well, I think I get it now... Just, don't do it again, 'k? Or I'll kick your ass."

He simply nodded, then drank again.

"I'm in."
"To be roommates?"
"Yeah." He held out his beer. "Cheers?"
"Cheers." They clinked their bottles together.

Would it be a good idea? No one knew. Well, right now it wasn't Dabi's top priority.

He hadn't been really affected by Brainstorm's death, indeed, but that didn't mean he wouldn't go to the funeral. He had always respected the guy, even if they weren't friends. Sometimes he wished Brainstorm had never met him, Dabi had no idea of how much they had known about him, and that pissed him off.

The funerals would take place in a few hours, and then finding a new apartment would become one of his top priorities. Dabi had spent the last three years in this apartment, he wasn't sad to leave, not at all. Here, he barely had hot water, and didn't have a bedroom at all. The only things that looked like good memories were those with the three brats. Perhaps it was because they were still kids, but they had something fun in them, something Natsu had. Deep inside of him, Dabi hoped that Brainstorm's death wouldn't destroy that spark of life in them. However, he would refuse to admit all of this out loud.