Chapter 7 : The Illegal Tricks

Warning: Mention of murder, gun, bullying (insults, physical violence and public humiliation)

'Family doesn't end with blood.' - Bobby Singer

———

"Brainstorm's reign has lasted for too long," Naomasa said.

A dozen of heroes were sitting in front of him, all of them carefully listening. Most of them were either underground heroes, like Eraserhead, or preferred to work behind their desk than directly on the field, like Sir Nighteye.

"He started his activities over 13 years ago, his influence quickly increased and it hasn't stopped ever since. We need to take him down."
"Do you have a plan for that?" Native asked.
"Not yet." Naomasa admitted. "This is why I called you. You have different ressources compared to the police, and whatever we'll decide to do to stop Brainstorm, we will need help from heroes. Furthermore, I personally have a complete trust in all of you, which is why I will give you the informations we found on Brainstorm. If you refuse to be part of the case, I truly understand but you need to leave now or it'll be too late."
"I'm staying," Eraserhead said.

   Everyone agreed.

"Then let's get started."

   The few (blurry) pictures the police had of Brainstorm were displayed behind Naomasa, alongside a composite sketch. Brainstorm had a very pale skin, even his lips weren't really pink. Straight blood red hair were falling on his shoulders, circling his ovale face and, on top of his face, was the black beret he was always wearing.

"Brainstorm is currently considered as a A-rank villain. Yet, he's never seen on the field. He is a mastermind : he make the plans and gets the money from it but never actively participate when the said plans are executed."
"Is he affiliated with villains you've caught?" one of the heroes asked.
"Too many, that's one of the things that worry us. We concluded from this that he wasn't allied with anyone in particular, since he worked with multiples villains who were openly ennemies."
"So that asshole is only doing this for money..."

*

"Why are you... I still don't understand why you want to help me... I can't even pay you for this!" Izuku sighed.
"I don't need money," Brainstorm answered.
"Well, we kinda do but, you know, helping people out of pure altruism sometimes's not gonna hurt anyone," Hai said as he sat next to Izuku on the couch, a can of coke in his hand
"What he means is that we're very happy to help you," Mister added.

   Dabi had insisted that Izuku should spend time with Brainstorm and his 'little family'. Learning that a villain mastermind had a partner and a son made Izuku rethink his whole way of thinking. For him, until a few days ago, villains, who were in the 'business' for years, never had a functional family, let alone one who knew about their 'job'.

"The first thing I would tell you is to lie about your true identity. Not just hiding it but pretending to be a whole different person, but you've already done it."
"Well... To be honest, I just did it because I knew no one would listen to someone like me..."
"You mean a kid?"
"More or less, yeah..."

   Brainstorm did not ask any more question, either they did not care about what Izuku meant or for some terrifying reasons, they either knew Izuku was quirkless. Since he did not know how clever they were — even if he supposed a quirk had to do with it, regardless of what Brainstorm had said when they had first met — so he could imagine without a doubt that Brainstorm could know about his entire life in less than ten days if he wanted to, even with a mask and a hood on.

"Well, even if you didn't do it for the 'correct' reasons, you did well."
"So you're smart even when you don't plan to? That's insane, dude!"

   Brainstorm let out a small, deep, laugh in reaction to the way his son explained it. "You can say that, yes." He looked at Izuku once again, letting his elbows rest on his knees, hand joined together in front of him. "Karma, I said it once and I'll say it again: you have a huge potential. So, if you accept, I will help you.