Chapter 15 : The End of the Reign

❗️The Content Warnings contains major spoiler for this chapter but, if you get easily triggered, I suggest you read them anyways.❗️
Warning: graphic depictions of violence, fire, blood, death (I won't tell you who) (It's probably unrealistic but let's ignore it), MAJOR ANGST

If the end of the path is the same for everyone, what's the point of surviving?
———

As the arrow pierced Senjin's body, Hai let out a painful scream, letting his quirk show how hurt and furious he was, despite the fact that he had been recommended to not do it. Atsuhiro had never imagined Hai's quirk could be so powerful, the said power was probably caused by the outburst of feelings that had triggered it. The rest of sparks of the cigarette still on the ground, associated with Dabi's flames, helped Hai create a giant wall of flames, separating their family from the heroes. He had to admit it, Atsuhiro was not an expert when it came to heroes (unlike Karma), however he was certain that none of them had a water-related quirk, or else they would have tried to extinguish Dabi's flames.

   Atsuhiro kneeled, to stay close to Senjin as he lied him down on his lap. Coughing and breathing as best as he could, he was already losing so much blood...

"It's okay, darling. Everything will be alright..." He said, more to reassure himself than to reassure Senjin.

   He took one of his husband's hand in his. The skin was still warm, as soft as it had always been. Drawing small circles with his thumb, Atsuhiro tried to calm himself as well, with Senjin hurt and the disastrous mindset in which Hai was right now, he was the only one able to take rational decisions.

   Hai got closer to them, his clothes and face dirtied with soot. His hands were shaking, eyes full of tears.

"D-Dad?" His voice was weak, Atsuhiro was barely able to hear him, since they were always so happy, even for the smallest things, he had almost never seen them like this. Only once, actually, and this had probably one of the worst day of Atsuhiro's life.

"Hai..." Senjin breathed out, unable to speak too much without hurting himself.
"Dad... You'll be okay, alright? We'll get you out of here."
"N- no. You need... you have to get out of here."
"Don't talk too much, you'll hurt yourself."

   Atsuhiro tried to hold back the tears building in his eyes. He was a showman, he had trained himself to not cry, to always look strong, to reassure the others, but mostly his son and partner. He wanted to bring them joy, to make them smile, and if that meant he had to suppress his own feelings, then so be it.

   He never took his eyes off Senjin, making sure Hai was still okay at the same time. Talking about Senjin, they looked focus, way too focus. Atsuhiro knew this expression , it was the one they had when they were making up a plan.

   He remembered exactly the first time he had seen them do it. It had been six months after they first meeting, Brainstorm did not have as much reputation as they now had so, when they both ended up getting caught in the middle of a bar fight, they had not been able to do much except find a way to get away from here. Atsuhiro had expected a calm night for this meeting, it had not been a date, Senjin was not ready to build a romantic relationship by the time. Though, a year after, they finally had their first date, on a rooftop, organized by Atsuhiro, it still was the most beautiful night of his life.

   Tonight, he was going through what would become the worst.

  Coming back to Senjin's expression, Atsuhiro knew they were trying to figure out a plan to get out of here even if, as awful as it was to admit out loud, they would hardly get out of here in good conditions.

   Atsuhiro did not care anymore, and took of his mask. Screw his fake identity, Hai and Senjin were already exposed, so they shall all be and, well, he did not know how much time they had until their partner would pass out, so whatever would happen in the future didn't matter. Right now, he only cared about the present.