ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔗𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔢

𝔎𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔞𝔫𝔞'𝔰 𝔭𝔬𝔳

𝔎𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔞𝔫𝔞'𝔰 𝔭𝔬𝔳

"So how was your first night in this place?" Rhysand asks, throwing his arm over my shoulder. Flashbacks of last night come to my mind, and I have to shut my eyes tightly to get them out of my head. "Boring," I flatly say, slightly shaking my head and trying to rid my mind of the memories of last night. "The mattress they gave me sucks," I tell him. He snorts beside me. "Mine too. Feels like damn rocks."

We make our way to the cafeteria where breakfast is served. Rhysand and I head to the food counter, where we are served some toast with butter and fruit along with a small glass of milk. We make our way to one of the long tables and take seats across from each other at the end of the table.

"How's Clara?" he asks. The corners of my lips tug up. "Cute as ever. Little furball loves clawing at the bed," I tell him. I see him smile, but it doesn't reach his eyes.

He misses her.

"Bring her in your room tonight," I tell him. His head raises slightly. "No, that's okay. You should keep her." I can tell that he doesn't want to take Clara away from me, but I know how much he loves the little animal. "Seriously," I tell him. "You'd be doing me a favor. She keeps me up all night."

He bites the inside of his cheek before nodding. "Okay. Bring her to my room tonight? Midnight?" he asks. I nod.

Though I only agreed to let Clara stay in his room a second ago, I can see that he is already happier by the little grin on his face. It almost eases my guilt for what happened between Tom and I last night—almost eases my guilt about what would have happened had it not been for the little girl pulling a prank on Tom.

Almost.

"We do need to talk about what we are going to do once we get back to Hogwarts. Last year was us learning and allowing ourselves to feel safe," I tell him. This causes his interest to pique. "This year, we train," I tell him. "All of us."

"All of us meaning?" he asks.

"You, me, Tom, and the rest of the knights," I answer. His gaze goes from my face to the table we sit at. "I know how you feel about this, and you have every right to feel that way, but we need them," I tell him. Placing my hand over Rhysand's, I force his gaze to revert to me. "Each one of them has a specialty. They have resources we need. They have people. As much as I want to do this with just the two of us, I can't. We need men. Magic alone will not win this."