Chapter Twenty

Richard

I took a deep breath as my fist hovered over Allison's bedroom door. I was debating whether I should knock or not, or if I should even enter at all. My mind kept flickering back to her reaction when I had let out the truth; she was so pained by my words. It was a wonder how she didn't put up a fight when I told her that I would be coming back to explain myself.

I abhorred the way I made her feel, her tear-stricken face showed every emotion that should not be felt, at least not all at one time.

My fist was still hovering over the bedroom door; I could not bring myself to knock. I wasn't sure if Allison was quite ready to see me yet. Thoughts kept swarming in my head of how she might react to my presence.

What if she ignores me?

What if she doesn't believe me?

I was overreacting; I needed to stop thinking about the negative possibilities. I held my breath as I finally knocked on the door, waiting for a response from the other side.

I heard nothing.

Sighing, I knocked again and waited impatiently.

Silence radiated through the door, consequently, making me become restless and nervous.

I shuffled my feet and noticed that I was biting my finger nails, a childhood habit that last occurred when I was thirteen. What was Allison doing to me?

Then it hit me, the room was soundproof and the door was locked. Once again, I was overreacting. Allison wouldn't have been able to open the door even if she wanted to.

I chuckled at my stupidity as I searched my pockets for the key.

As I opened the door, I looked up to find Allison completely buried in blankets in the bed.

Unsure of whether she was asleep or not, I walked over to her side to investigate. The blankets and the comforter was pulled up all the way, shielding her face from the light coming from the lamp that was set beside her on the night table. I didn't want to wake her, but we needed to talk.

I reluctantly rose my hand and placed it on what I supposed was her shoulder, and gave her a light shake.

Allison spontaneously shot up into a sitting position, scaring me so much that I fell backwards onto the floor.

I rolled over onto my side and brought a hand to my back, which was now in pain.

"Ouch, my back." I groaned, rolling onto my side.

Allison frantically looked around the room, fear tracing her features until her eyes found me on the floor. She visually relaxed, clutching her chest with her hand.

"What the hell, Richard?! I thought you were Jack!" she yelled.

I sat up, my back still in pain as I strained to speak.

"I'm sorry, I was just trying to wake you. We need to talk."

Allison crossed her arms over her chest and her eyebrows furrowed with burden. Oh, how I hated seeing her this way.

"Okay. Go ahead, explain your faults." she said bluntly.

I nodded as I stood up and made my way to the chair that stood beside the bed.

I then sat down and scratched the back of my neck nervously, not knowing where to begin.

"I kind of have to start with my childhood or nothing will make sense later on." I spoke, reluctantly.