Chapter Eighteen

Allison

It took Richard an hour before he came back, and this time he looked burdened.

The sun had already set, but I was oblivious as to what time it was; there weren't any clocks in the room.

"What happened? Are you okay?" I asked, concerned.

Richard frowned as he leaned his back against the door and shoved his hands into his pockets.

Something is definitely up.

I rose off the bed and walked cautiously toward Richard.

"Richard?" I placed my hand on his left cheek and he turned away.

What is going on?

Figuring he needed some space, I made my way back to the bed and sat down. I folded my hands in my lap and stared down at them.

"Are you mad at me?" I asked in a low voice.

Richard's frown deepened and his eye brows furrowed with concern.

"No." he whispered, walking over to the bed and sitting next to me.

"Oh god, no, Allison. I have no reason to be angry at you."

I blew out a sigh of relief.

"But you do." I thought I heard him mutter.

"What?" I asked, unsure of his exact words.

"Nothing, don't worry about it." he said dismissively.

I was about to protest when Richard began to speak.

"Listen, I got a call from Jack."

Oh great, that idiot.

"Something came up about one of the drug orders this afternoon and now he has to go downtown for the night. So, this delays his previous engagement with you that was scheduled for an hour from now."

Once again, I was relieved.

"Okay, so... Now what?" I asked.

Richard averted his gaze from mine and began to speak.

"You can just relax here, I guess. We can't escape yet because everyone is off duty and roaming around the house; it would be too risky." He stated, still not looking at me.

He then sighed and rose from the bed, making his way to the door.

Why does he keep leaving?

"Richard." I spoke.

Richard's hand froze as he gripped the door knob. He kept his eyes trained on the door in front of him.

"Will you stay with me, please?"

His shoulders softened but other than that, he didn't move.

I decided to speak again.

"I'm frightened, Richard. I don't want to be alone. Please stay with me." I whispered.

Richard let go of the round door knob and turned around, his facial expression filled with sympathy.

"Of course I'll stay with you." his voice was soft.

I laid down as Richard reluctantly walked over to the bed; he sat down on the edge and stared at the wall ahead.

He seemed very distracted.

I rubbed his back affectionately and he glanced at me over his shoulder, a sympathetic smile covering his features.

"Will you lay with me?" I asked, despite being curious of his surreptitious behavior.