Diary: Chapter 33***A Broken Heart

As per my weekly study routine, I visited Pallavi's house on a weekend to study. But found her room empty.

Sharma Sir and aunty were in the kitchen cooking Sunday's special lunch and having an argument over Frozen peas vs fresh pea pods.

"Aunty, Pallavi?" - I asked disturbing their serious discussion

"Not in the room? Check upstairs"- she casually said.

"She has gone to the dance class, no?" - I heard Sharma Sir asking aunty in the background as I started climbing the stairs

"She had, but she came back around an hour back" - Aunty replied.

"She came back and I didn't see her? Impossible." - Sharma Sir argued back

"I didn't know that you are the CCTV camera of this house." - Aunty mocked him.

"I keep an eye around. What is the problem with that?" - Sharma Sir replied.

I had shifted the topic of argument from peas to CCTVs, I realized. So, I increased my pace and climbed the flight of stairs hurriedly.

The birds feeding area was deserted, so I peeped inside the only room on the terrace but that was empty too. Pallavi, who always fought with me for not reaching on time, was nowhere to be seen today and it made me uncomfortable. I was about to give up the search when I realized that the old broken chair was kept along with the hidden terrace.

Yes, the same with the slanting roof wall. The escape place of the sisters. I climbed up and found her sitting there, resting her back across the slanting wall. Hugging her folded legs around her chest and hiding her face in it.

I sat next to her and said - "So, what are we doing here today?"

Pallavi did not move.

"Hello? anyone home?" - I asked aloud.

"Shuck's earthworm". I whispered aloud and got up jumping.

That spooked her as she finally raised her face full of tears, exposing her swollen red eyes.

"Where?" - She asked and sniffed. Her voice was deeply nasal due to prolonged crying.

"Here" - I said dangling an old dish cable wire.

"Not funny!" - she said and hid her face back in her lap.

"OK. At least tell me the reason, so that we can cry together." - I tried to keep my face straight.

No response.

"Please, Pal. what's wrong?" - I asked softly this time.

I was about to give up when she finally spoke - "I met Sadhana mam today, in the dance school."

"You mean - The Sadhana mam?" - I exclaimed

She nodded yes.

"Ohhhh, we are crying with happiness then?" - I said

"She told me she has been seeing the recorded videos of my dance practice and is following me from the day I joined. She praised me so much... and.. and told me that it is time for me to start performing professionally with her group." - she managed to tell in between her uncontrolled sobs.

"Ohhh, so we don't want to dance professionally that's why we are crying?" - I asked scratching my head.

"No silly! Miss Sandhya has already booked the date of Arangetram as per the best Muhuratam for me in Chidambaram temple... Not in the mandapam there, but directly in front of the Natraj himself. You know it is just impossible to get that opportunity but..but I can't... I will have to lose the opportunity I have dreamt of all my life." - She started explaining with pauses but ended in sobs.