Chapter 21: Interrupted

Four entire days...ninety-six hours of my life I've spent by Brett's bedside and still not even the slightest sign that he's going to pull through this. As soon as Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell arrived at the hospital, they along with Greyson discussed the risks of brain surgery with the team of physicians. An hour later signed consent was given and Brett was whisked away to the operating room.

As expected, the doctors notified us that recovery wasn't going to be an instant thing. Sensitive touch and go situations such as this case, required us to take things day by day. Good news is that they managed to stop the internal hemmorhaging and brain swelling. Bad news is they had to remove a piece of Brett's skull in order for that to happen.

The feel of a large warm hand running up and down my back startled me as I laid hunched over with my head on top of Brett's left hand. I just managed to doze off after staying awake all night, worried Brett's fever would force his condition to take a turn for the worst. "Kam, let me take you home. You need to get some rest." Greyson's deep voice whispered in my ear. "Brett's parents are here to relieve us."

With each passing day, Greyson has been right beside me faithfully. I was so grateful to have his support, he's been the rock in this tough predicament never faltering or showing weakness. I admire Greyson for his strength. I'm positive I've been nothing but an emotional mess and I'm damn sure I looked a sight. Yes, I've showered but I can't remember the last time I've eaten anything or slept for longer than fifteen minutes.

Pulling myself to my feet with the assistance of Greyson, he must have noticed the forlorn expression on my face. "We can come back later on, I promise." Greyson swore placing the palms of his hands on either side of my face forcing me to look at him. There were dark circles underneath his dull looking blue eyes lacking their usual twinkle. Greyson looked just as tired as I felt.

Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell have been staying at Brett's place in the spare bedroom. Luckily we've been taking shifts watching over Brett, which means when they come to the hospital Greyson and I leave and vice versa. Fortunately, they haven't realized I no longer live there since we haven't had the opportunity to be in the same place at the same time. In a way I was grateful for not having to explain anything...yet.

"Go home you two and get some rest. Don't you dare come back here until you've slept." Mrs. Mitchell nagged as she held my hands in her own. Mr. Mitchell's been really quiet through all of this, he was taking it really hard. As soon as he came in the door, Mr. Mitchell sat in the chair next to Brett and began mumbling words of encouragement to him. "You're good kids. I can see why Brett adores the two of you so much." She said tearfully as she kissed both Greyson and I and sent us on our way out the door.

Her words felt like a knife straight through my heart. I could barely hold back my sobs before Greyson snaked his arm around my shoulder and all but dragged me out of the hospital towards his car. My emotions have been all over the place since the accident. Why was I feeling so guilty? I wasn't the one who ruined this relationship. Yet, the thought of Brett possibly dying made me feel horrible about the way we last left things.

The desperate look in Brett's eyes as he kneeled in front of me begging for my forgiveness haunted me each and every single time I closed my eyes. The betrayal etched on Brett's heart broken face as I walked away from him making my final decision in choosing Greyson was a constant reminder that fighting fire with fire isn't always efficient. That's probably the reason why I haven't been able to sleep. I was completely riddled with guilt.

Once we were outside Greyson pulled me into his arms and allowed me to unleash the tears threatening to spill over. My small frame convulsed against Greyson's as I wailed into his chest. "Shhh, that's it let it all out." Greyson cooed calmly as he ran his hand up and down my back, kissing me on the top of my head. I'm not sure how long I was wrapped in Greyson's arms, but I didn't want him to ever let go.