Chapter 20: Devastation

As soon as Greyson stepped out of earshot of our area to answer a call on his cell phone, I hurled a fry across the table aiming directly for my target. "That's what you get for your diarrhea mouth." I whisper yelled hitting Elsie smack dab in the middle of her forehead. I can't believe she went there.

"What in the hell?!?" Elsie screamed in mock anger as she stared at me with wide bug eyes. "My skin is oily enough as it is Kam...there's no need to toss greasy fast food at me." Elsie stated rolling her eyes. She lifted the napkin and began dabbing it against her forehead. This caused us to all start laughing.

"What? Was I wrong that you managed to snag yourself a hotass millionaire?" Elsie questioned. "No I wasn't, so what's the problem?" Shaking my head at her I shut my eyes briefly and let out sigh. I wanted to smack myself on the forehead and scream 'Doh' like Homer Simpson. She wasn't wrong, but sometimes some things are better left unsaid.

"So...have you decided how you're going to break the ice between you guys?" Roxy asked leaning in closer to the table. I must have had a look of confusion in my eyes, because Elsie chimed in. "In other words have you decided how you're gonna get him into bed tonight?"

My cheeks instantly became hot with embarassment, I blame it on my Irish blood along with the numerous amounts of beer I've chugged down. These girls are absolutely off their rockers! Have they no shame meddling in other's sex lives? If our mothers knew about the things we talked about, they'd definitely wash our mouths out with soap.

"No, I haven't." I answered testily. That's exactly what Ava and I were secretly discussing a few moments ago...how I should go about seducing Greyson. Don't get me wrong Elsie and Roxie are my best friends, but Elsie has a big mouth. My plan would totally be foiled before I even had a chance to execute it.

Almost as though I could sense Greyson's presence, I looked up just as he came back through the front door. Instantly I could see that something was wrong. It was written all over his face when he stopped our waiter to ask for the check. Greyson's stance was stiff and he looked completely stressed. I stood from my seat with worry. "What's wrong?" I asked walking around the table to meet him halfway.

If I didn't know any better it seemed as though he was a bit hesistant. Almost like Greyson was debating whether he wanted to tell me what was going on. With a visible gulp, Greyson gently grabbed a hold of my shoulders and exhaled. "We need to leave, we have to get over to Cedars-Sinai. It's Brett, he's been in an accident." His voice rushed out quickly. I'm not even sure if I heard Greyson properly.

The sound of swishing in my ears and the sudden case of vertigo had me swaying on my feet. The palpitations of my heart beating violently against my chest made it almost difficult for me to breathe. Brett...Accident...How...When...Where? What kind of an accident? I couldn't find my voice to relay my thoughts into proper words.

The feeling of Greyson's strong arms shaking me lightly snapped me back to reality. "Kam, we need to go now." Greyson ordered just as the waiter brought over the check. He threw ten twenty dollar bills down onto the table, entwined our hands and led me towards the entrance and out the door.

"Wait, the girls!" I cried trying to turn around and say goodbye to my girls. I was in such a daze I didn't even have a chance to tell the girls about Brett. They're probably still sitting there wondering what in the hell's going on. Knowing Elsie and her perverted mind, she probably thinks we're rushing out to do the nasty.

Greyson stopped abruptly causing me to run into his side. "Kam, the girls already left. They went to bring the car around front so they could follow us over there." He spoke softly with concern etched into his piercing blue eyes. Greyson stared at me as though I was made of porcelain. "Maybe I should have the girls take you home, I'll keep you updated."

Hearing Greyson tell me to go home was almost like him smacking me dead across the face. Shaking my head defiantly, I shouted. "NO...I mean no." I managed to tone my voice down a few notches. "I need to go with you Greyson, please. I'll go insane waiting around if you send me home." My voice all but pleaded, it must've worked because he nodded his head once and I heard Greyson mumble. "Ok, let's go."

The entire car ride to Cedars-Sinai was spent in silence. Our hands were still laced together over the middle console. Each of us lost in our own thoughts. Most likely feeling the same guilt of alienating Brett out of our lives for the sake of not having to deal our back stabbing ways. Two wrongs don't make a right. Then again it's not like Brett tried to speak to or forgave us for getting married behind his back.

Turning my body slightly, I glanced behind us to notice Ava following closely behind with Elsie and Roxy in her car. As much as they hated Brett for hurting me, in the end we've all hung out together and have been friends for years. So their concern was only natural. I wonder if Brett's parents have been notified? If so how can I face them at a time like this? What am I supposed to tell them?

I'm sure the five of us rushing into the emergency room entrance was a sight to see. "Hi, I received a call from Officer Jones in regards to Brett Mitchell." Greyson told the receptionist, his voice came out cool as a cucumber. "Can we see him?" Not a trace of nervousness visible, I on the other hand was a bundle of nerves. My arms were wrapped around my own body in hopes of holding myself together in case we got bad news.

"Are you all family, because only family is allowed back there." The young receptionist replied while ogling Greyson. Leaning in closer onto the desk to turn up his charm, Greyson gave her his award winning smile. "Would you believe me if I told you we're all brothers and sisters?" The receptionst laughed and shook her head no, which forced Greyson to tell her. "Well I'm Brett's cousin and this here is his sister." He stated pointing to me. "Now can we go back there?"

Before we reached to pull back the curtain to bed five, the area where Brett was being held. A uniformed officer stopped us. "Mr. Greyson?" He inquired as he stood before us with his hand out. "Officer Jones, I spoke to you on the phone earlier. Thank you for coming down here so quickly. I'd like to have a word with you if you don't mind." Officer Jones tilted his head a bit to the right and the two of them stepped away.

I stood there for a moment unsure of what to do, whether I should wait for Greyson or go in on my own. I ended up choosing the latter....which is a decision I would regret for the rest of my life. This is not something I should have faced on my own...something I was not mentally prepared to see.

Lying in the bed, hooked up to numerous beeping machines was Brett. It didn't seem like he was able to breathe on his own due to the ventilator pumping up and down with the rise and fall of his chest. He was barely recognizable with his head and face wrapped in bloody bandages.

The visible parts that weren't wrapped were filled with bruises. His right hand and left leg I assumed were broken because they were sealed up in casts. I let out a strangled cry as I fell into the chair beside him with tears streaming down my face. Taking Brett's left hand into my own I began to pray for his recovery. My heart ached seeing him in this state. Who or what did this to him?

The sharp intake of breath next to me caused me to glance up at Greyson who stood frozen beside me with tears in his eyes. I instantly jumped to my feet and managed to croak out, "What happened to him?" Greyson pulled me into his arms and kissed me gently on the forehead. His whole body shook as Greyson hugged me tight, barely able to hold onto his own emotions.

"He was visiting one of the construction sites when a crane carrying metal beams collapsed. Two people died and three others were injured." Greyson filled me in, but that wasn't all. "I met with Officer Jones and the attending doctor. They say Brett needs brain surgery he has internal hemmorhaging and they need me to give consent, but there's risks."

As we stood in each other's arms, the curtains were ripped apart and the agonizing scream that filled the emergency room will forever echo in my head. "Oh please god no...my baby!" Mrs. Mitchell shouted throwing herself on top of Brett. Mr. Mitchell stood next to her crying for his only child.

Moments passed before the two of them realized Greyson and I standing there. "Thank goodness the two of you are here. Brett's going to need his best friend and his soon to be wife by his side to get through this." Mrs. Mitchell sniffled as she pulled me into a bear hug. I didn't have the heart to break the news to her. As a matter of fact, I don't think I'll ever be able tell her the truth if Brett doesn't recover.