The Calm before the Red Dawn

3rd Person POV

One collective thought that the Genin had at the moment was that Naruto was a slave driver.

The training they had to endure for the past week was INSANE!

Naruto was not joking with the routine he had informed them of. He had done exactly what he had said the would. At the end of everyday, the Genin would return to Tazuna's home with scratches, bruises and some broken bones, only to have Naruto heal them to repeat the process the next day. Of course, they could not deny the results. Sakura felt her endurance increase as the days passed by, Sasuke's aim was increasing as each day passed by, and Menma felt his mind sharpen when encountering difficult scenarios. 

The Genin were now, at the very least, high Genin level, low Chuunin at best.

Today, however, they were surprised by what Naruto was giving them.

"What is this, sensei?" Sakura asked as she eyed the piece of paper that had been handed to her, just as Menma and Sasuke.

"This, Sakura, is chakra conducting paper. This paper is used to learn what your natural affinities are." Naruto asked as he stood next to Kakashi, who was reading his little orange book, much to Naruto's chagrin.

"How will this help us learn what our nature is, Naruto-sensei?" this time, Sasuke asked.

"The beauty of this paper, is that, since it was grown with chakra, it is sensitive to the properties of your chakra. Let me give you a demonstration." with that, Naruto grabbed a paper and held it between his fingers.

"What you have to do is make some of your chakra flow through the paper, and it will automatically react to it." as he said that, Naruto's paper was sliced into three pieces, one catching up on fire, the other becoming wet, and the last crinkling, causing everyone's eyes, including Naruto's, to widen.

Last time Naruto checked, he had fire and wind as his main affinities, with water being his weakest. Lighting had not even been a result before.

"N-Naruto-kun, didn't you only have fire, wind and water as your affinities?" Kakashi asked, putting his book away to inspect Naruto's paper.

"It was... I don't know what could've triggered the lighting affinity this late into my development..." Naruto said with an analyzing look in his face.

"So, was that not supposed to happen, nii-san?" Menma asked.

"Menma, it's Naruto-sensei when we're on duty. As for your question, I'm not one hundred percent sure... there is still much to learn about chakra. So much that situations like this are impossible to categorize as impossible or just extremely rare... Now, with that out of the way, it is now your turn to do it." Naruto looked straight at them.

"Sakura, let's start with you." Naruto turned his attention to Sakura, who, all of sudden, felt very nervous.

"O-okay. Just make my chakra flow through the paper, right?" Sakura restated as she held the paper between her hands, focusing her chakra through them, until she felt the feeling of the paper change. 

As she opened her hands, where the paper once was, now was a broken piece of earth.

"So your affinity is earth, huh? I was almost sure your affinity was going to be water, but it seems I was wrong. Very well, Sakura, well done. Earth is the most defensive affinity, so we will be training you on it. Lucky for you, Kaka-nii here has earth as one of his affinities." Naruto stated as Kakashi nodded next to him.

"Now, Sasuke, your turn." Naruto said as Sasuke responded with a "hai!"

Placing the paper between his hands, Sasuke made some of his chakra flow into it.