Secrets

3rd Person POV

"I know you said that Nami was in shambles, Tazuna-san, but I didn't think it would be this bad..." Menma said as Team 7 walked towards Tazuna's home.

Anywhere they looked, they could see poverty. Kids asking for either money or food, the market had one or two stands at most with very limited items for outrageous prices, and you could feel the resignation in the air. These people felt they had hit a dead end.

'I have to do something about this...' Naruto thought while walking towards Tazuna's home, until he felt someone pulling on his vest. Looking down, he saw a little boy looking at him expectantly, but with hesitation. He knew that look. The boy was already expecting Naruto to reject anything the boy wanted to ask.

"Hey, little guy. How can I help you?" Naruto asked as he crouched to look at the boy. Team 7 and Tazuna stopped to wait for Naruto.

"Hey Mister! Do you have anything to eat? I have not had anything to eat in 3 days..." the boy looked down in sadness, making Naruto's heart clench.

"Actually, I do." Naruto said, making the boy look at him with wide eyes.

"It's not much, but it is something to help you last a while longer." Naruto said, unsealing a ration bar from a seal in his arm.

"This looks small, but it will make you feel full for a while. Sorry this is all I can give you, but I will make sure you all have something to eat soon. I promise." Naruto said with a small smile as the boy tackled him in a hug, saying "thank you" repeatedly.

As the boy took off with the ration bar in hand, Team 7 proceeded in following Tazuna.

"Thank you for that, Naruto-san. Everyone around here have lost so much since Gato took over. Many have lost loved ones due to malnutrition, or to diseases they had no money to cure. With my bridge, I hope to bring Nami to its former glory." Tazuna said with conviction, his eyes watering slightly.

"Don't mention it, Tazuna-san. It is our duty to help all of you. I promise we will help in bringing Nami back to its feet." Naruto said with a smile. Smile which was mirrored by all of Team 7, including Menma and Sasuke, who had a little time to come to terms with what happened earlier.

*5 minutes later*

"Here we are. Welcome to my humble abode!" Tazuna announced as Team 7 followed.

Opening the door, the house seemed simple, yet big enough to house a family of 5 comfortably.

"Tsunami! I'm home! I have company!" Tazuna announced, leading Team 7 in.

A series of fast footsteps later, and a pretty woman stepped from what they assumed was the kitchen wearing a pink blouse.

"Tou-san! You're back! Welcome home!" Tsunami said as she approached Tazuna.

"And who are these people?" Tsunami asked in curiosity as Naruto stepped forward.

"Good afternoon, Tsunami-san. My name is Senju-Uzumaki Naruto, Jonin Co-Sensei of Team 7 here. The man with the mask is Hatake Kakashi, official Sensei of Team 7, the red head is my little brother and student, Namikaze-Uzumaki Menma, the black haired boy is Uchiha Sasuke, and the pink haired girl is Haruno Sakura. We were tasked in escorting Tazuna-san home and protecting him while he finishes building the bridge. Thank you for having us." Naruto announced as Team 7 took its cue to bow, causing Tsunami to blush and sweatdrop at the gesture.

"A-ah, there is no need to bow. I should be the one thanking you for protecting my drunkard of a father. Thank you for protecting him and helping us." Tsunami bowed as well.