Chapter 45

G R A C I E

Val didn't hesitate to give my number to Tyler, and the dude actually texted me a few days later: 'Hey, Gracie. It's Tyler, Val's friend. I was wondering if you'd like to go out for dinner?'

No casual hang out over coffee.

No late night booty call after drinks.

Tyler had pulled out the big guns right off the bat.

I had to admit—it was unicorn-like behavior in the world of modern dating. After my break up with Craig, I spent a fair amount of time in the online dating pool, and none of my forgettable, disappointing, and, at times, disgusting matches had offered dinner on the first date.

Tyler also happened to message me while I was sitting next to Gray and Stevie on the couch.

Awkward.

So awkward.

Gray noticed my hesitation as I kept re-reading Tyler's message on my phone screen. I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted to meet the guy.

"Everything okay?" he asked.

Crap. He caught me. I debated whether or not to tell him about Tyler.

Or maybe I needed to stew over my decision a while longer?

In a way, I felt like Gray had a right to know if I was going to date again. I'd definitely want to know if he was going to start seeing other women. In case he ended up bringing one of them back to meet Stevie.

Oh, God.

What were the ground rules here?

Other people were, inevitably, going to come in and out of our lives.

Gray and I couldn't stay single forever, right?

I wasn't looking forward to answering this question with Gray, but I felt like it needed to be addressed.

Glancing over, I tested the waters with him. "So, um... Val called the other day."

"Oh, yeah? How's she doing?"

"She's good, but, ah..."

Gray tossed me a funny look. "What?"

"I think... she's trying to set me up with someone. His name is Tyler."

His dark eyebrows rose up.

Gray let out a strained cough as his entire body grew stiff and straight. "Are you... interested... in being set up?"

"Not really," I answered hesitantly, "but a part of me also feels like... maybe... I should give this guy a chance... since Val's been singing his praises like crazy."

He took a long pause.

Gray grimaced. "Are you really on board with this Tyler guy... or are you just bringing this up because I wouldn't kiss you last night?"

He... wouldn't kiss me last night?

I frowned at him. Confused. Concerned. "What are you talking about?"

Embarrassment clouded his features.

In hurried tones, Gray mumbled, "Ah, nevermind. Forget I even said anything."

Suddenly, a snippet of my drunken ramblings flickered through my mind.

If you won't kiss me, then I'm gonna find someone who will...

"Oh, fuck," I groaned, feeling a bit flustered and mortified with myself, "I'm so sorry. I-I didn't mean it, I swear. I mean, Tyler has nothing to do with what I said last night—"