Chapter 23

I guess there was only one thing I could do. I would have to dump him.

The next day I tried to act as normal as possible. When I met Ali and Dani in the gym it looked like they were going to explode. I walked up to them and they started jumping up and down.

"Criss' team lost." Ali said after catching her breath from the constant jumping. I looked down at her.

I rolled my eyes and facepalmed. I knew Criss was bad at basketball but from the looks of Justin, he should have won.

"So what are you going to do?" Dani questioned after finally catching her breath.

"If he asks me out I'll say no."

Dani and Ali tilted their heads as if they were thinking about it and then nodded.

"Seems fair." They said in sync and then continued to talk about random stuff.

Throughout the day it was relatively normal, though I could still tell that Criss was anxious.

"What's up?" I said with a smile.

"Oh, nothing. Just tired." He responded, shuffling his feet.

I scooted closer to him making him more nervous. He scooted away. "You can tell me anything." I said.

He hesitated for a moment and then started to spit out random words. Holy crap, he was nervous.

After rambling he calmed down and then said 6 simple words," Will you go out with me?" He closed his eyes as if he was expecting to get hit.

I was about to say know when he opened his eyes and sat up with a look of confusion. I looked at him for a moment. His dark hair was messy as if he didn't do anything with it and his brown eyes were like a pool of quicksand, pulling me in with every glance.

"Yes"

He smiled as if he had won a football game but then I saw a flash of sadness in his eyes. He remembered that he had to break up with me.

I got up and walked to the desk that Ali and Dani were sitting at.

"What did you say?" Ali asked.

I looked at the floor and shuffled my feet.

"You said yes, didn't you?" Dani said, rolling her eyes at my stupidity.

I smiled as Ali started hitting me."He's gonna break your heart and you know it, you little poop!"

I shushed her and then pushed her to the wall on the far side of the room.

"I know. But I like him. A lot. It's annoying, but when I look at him, I lose my breath."

Ali rolled her eyes and reached up to my shoulders." You're an idiot." I nodded and she smiled,"and so is he, so you guys are perfect!" She smiled and hugged me.

The rest of the day I got angry glances from Joann but I didn't care. Criss liked me. And he showed it. He hugged me, and he kissed my cheek all throughout the rest of the day.

After the rest of the school day, I said goodbye to Criss, and Ali, and Dani.

~~

After driving home and staying there for a few hours on my laptop I got a new text on my phone. I took my earbuds out and I looked at my phone.

Criss: We need to talk.

I knew it was going to happen but I didn't expect it to happen so soon.

Me: Ok. Park?

Criss: okay. Park

I put pants on and walked out of the house. I drove to the park listening to my favorite songs, but I didn't sing along to the lyrics I knew by heart.
Instead, I wiped away the tears brimming from my eyes. Why was I such an idiot? I let this happen to myself.

I pulled into the parking lot and took a deep breath. After I turned off the car and stepped out I locked the doors.

I walked to the wooden structures and then sat down on the bench. A few minutes later Criss sat down on the bench a couple feet away from me.

"What is this?" I said, looking toward the swingset.

"It's not what you think. Look at the tree to your left. Discretely."

I did as he said and there behind the trees were Justin and a few other of his friends. I played it off professionially as me wiping my eye.

"So, are you breaking up with me?"

"No."

"What?"

"Don't worry. Look at me."

I looked at him and took in his features. The setting sun made his eyes shine and his dark hair look brown.

"Don't freak out."

"Okay, I won't." I was starting to get really nervous.

He kissed me. It was deep and passionate. I knew that he wasn't going to break up with me. It was eternal and I wanted it to last forever, but he broke it.

"I love you."

Hey ladybugs and gentlemen,
Are you happy about this chapter? I am. I worked just a bit harder on it than the others. Can you tell?
Welln you know the drill. Leave a suggestion in the comments and I'll try to include it in my next chapter.
Baiiiiiiiiii -KatieLou