Chapter 26: A little bit of Javid (cause why not?)

"That a**h*le!" Davey cursed kicking at the rock bellow his feet.

Why did Jack have to make his life so complicated?

"David?" Romeo grabbed Davey's larger hand in his. "You can stay with us, if you want." A small smile grew on the young boy's face. "...like- like a sleepover!"

"Oh can we?" Les questioned. "Oh can we? Can we!?"

"I don't-" Davey backed into the red-haired newsie.

"Yeah, Dave." Albert put a hand on the taller teen's shoulder. "Stay for one night."

"You guys are really good at peer pressure." Davey sighed, to which the newsies smirked proudly.

"We learnt it from-" Blink stopped himself.

"...Jack." Mush whispered.

The name used to echo through the halls of this lodge through day and night, as if a blessing. A Hail Mary.

Now it was as if the name was taboo. A curse never meant to be spoken and never meant to be there in the first place.

"Why don't we play a board game or something?" Buttons suggested, smiling apologetically.

~~~~~~📰~~~~~~

"Where's Race?" Les looked around the room.

"Probably just sleeping bud." Albert suggested to the young boy before turning back to Davey. "He's really stressed, you know."

"We're worried for him." JoJo admitted sheepishly.

"He has a big habit of ridiculously high expectations upon himself." Blink frowned.

"I'll check on him." Davey nodded, getting up before Mush waved him down.

"We love Race..." Mush trailed off. "...and we know him. He probably needs time. When Anastasia left, he would just randomly burst into tears."

"Maybe we should just- just wait till later." Specs suggested.

Davey nodded slowly.

~~~~~~📰~~~~~~

Once Davey had put away the boardgames and helped tuck Romeo and Les to bed, he finally asked the big question that had been spinning around his head for hours. ("aM I gAy?") [LOL]

"How are you guys so- so okay with Jack's betrayal?" Davey flopped himself down on the couch.

"We're not." Albert shrugged. "Hey Finch, where'd ya put the whiskey."

"Top shelf on the left." Finch replied before taking a swing of alcohol from the wine bottle, then handing it to Mush, who handed it to Blink, who handed it to Specs, and so on.

"You don't have to have anything if you don't want." Buttons told Davey sweetly, noticing the concerned look on the older boy's face.

"We thought you might need it though." Skittery added after taking a long swig from the bottle.

"I think I'll go check on Race." Davey stood up.

Mush laid his head on Blink's shoulder. "Make sure he know's we're here for him."

Davey nodded.

"I will."

~~~~~~📰~~~~~~

It was a lot less hard to find the hyper-active blonde than Davey thought it was.

After wandering the lodge for two minutes, Davey heard a faint sniffling coming from the bathroom.