Chapter 4: I Know Who You Are.... Gosh That Sounds Creepy

"Find the bad guy, push him aside!" Anastasia smiled, making a sliding motion.

"Then move on forward with your friend at your side." Race nodded.

"It's a two-player game, so when they make an attack, you know you got a brother, gonna have your back!" They high-fived through the bars.

"Then you stay on track and..Ah! Remain on course. And if they give you a smack, you.. Gah! You use your force! And if you leave your brother behind, it's lame 'Cause it's an effed-up world but it's a two-player game!" The newsies grinned brightly at each other.

"Hey!"

Six months in the refuge can do a lot to people.

Sure it can be bad and potentially scar you forever, but, it's not so bad when you have a friend.

"Hey Race?" Anastasia asked through the bars.

"Yeh Stasia?"

"I'm glad wese friends now." She smiled.

"Me too." He grinned back. "And in a couple weeks, we'll be out. Free from this place."

"Yeah." She smiled, eyes filled with hope. "I heard according to Jack we'll be there for their annual snowball fights, and- and we can go to their picnic on Valentine's Day! Have you been to a picnic? Or a snowball fight? Or-"

"Youse rambling again Stupid." He smiled softly.

"Oh- right."

In a couple of weeks the two kids would be out.

Free from the monstrous place.

~~~~~~📰~~~~~~

"Have you ever dreamed of goin' somewhere with yer life?" Anastasia asked one night after a particularly hard beating.

"Nah, why?" Race walked up to the bars separating them, Anastasia doing the same.

"No it's just-" She let in a sigh. "Jack told me about dis place... Santa Fe? Open fields, bright yellow sun, the Rio Grande? Evah wanna just leave New York and all it's troubles?"

Race thought for a moment before slipping his fingers through the bars.

Instinctively Anastasia did the same, them interlocking pinkies. That had become their thing since they couldn't fit their arms through the bars without risking it getting stuck.

"What's life without troubles Stasia." He smiled softly, gazing into her eyes. "Dat's Jack's dream, what's yers?"

It was Anastasia's time to think.

"I- I don't know." She admitted, smiling sheepishly. "I guess- I don't know- do more than survive." Her pinkie clutched onto his harder. "We have an okay life now I guess, I wanna do more than just survive this crazy world. Do something fun, crazy- it- it's stupid I know." The young girl looked down. [THE BMC REFERENCES IZZY PLSBDBEBEDNBDJDB] (lol) (iM gLaD yOu cAuGht iT)

"It's not stupid." Race for once was empathetic. "Although, when we get out of here you'll need to find a new one." A wacky smile settled on his face.

"How come?" Anastasia's eyes snapped up to meet Race's blue ones.

"Because when I get out, I'll make yer life more interesting than surviving." He grinned. "You made the right friend!"

Anastasia smiled softly.

"You know that you are my favorite person... that doesn't mean that I can't still dream." A smile settled onto the blonde newsie's face.