Chapter 6: Bunch Of Chickens Trying To Take Down Goliath

"Harlem." Mush gulped, bracing himself. "Why did I take Harlem?"

"OI!" the voice of a man rung out.

Mush spun around to see a man with orange hair glaring down at him.

"What brings a non-Harlem newsie here?" The man glared.

"H- hey Ch- Choker." He smiled nervously.

"Oh! Mushy boy." He grinned his toothless grin.

"H- hi." Mush gulped.

"C'mere kid, how ya been?" He ruffled the younger boy's hair.

Choker and Mush knew each other back at the orphanage. Sure, Choker was the scary older boy and Mush was the scrawny child, but they had formed somewhat of a brotherhood.

"I'm okay Choker." He winced as he attempted to fix his hair.

"So, whatcha doing here Mush Mash?" Choker smiled warmly, which was a strange sight on top of his scarred face.

Mush's face turned serious.

"Choker, there ain't no way wese gonna survive this price raise." He awkwardly chuckled. "So erm- wese on strike!"

Choker blinked.

Once....

....then twice.

"I'm sorry, you did what now?"

"Strike!" Mush did awkward jazz hands before running away. "BYE!" [this is so me] (I thought of you when I wrote it)

"MEYERS!"

But Mush was already walking away. Before he was out of reach he heard one thing.

"LEMME TALK TO SPOTTY BOY, THEN I'LL GET BACK TO YA."

Mush smiled softly but not turning back.

~~~~~~📰~~~~~~

Jo Jo had been walking to the Bronx when he ran into just the person he was looking for.

"Smallzie! How's me favorite girlsie doin'?" He flashed a bright smirk.

"Uh huh. Quit the flirting Jo Jo." Smalls crossed her arms, papes sticking out of her newsie bag.

"Who said I'm flirting?!" He fluttered his eyelashes.

"Every breathing thing," Smalls deadpanned before screaming, "EXTRA EXTRA! STUPID NEWSIE BE FLIRTING WITH POOR INNOCENT GIRL."

"Gee thanks."

"Now, why ya here?" She crossed her arms turning back to Jo Jo.

"Can't a newsie just check on his friend?" Jo Jo smiled innocently.

"Nah." Smalls slapped him with a newspaper.

"Manhattan's striking." Jo Jo frowned. "Smalls, we really need ya." His face turned to pleading. "...please."

"Jo, you know what a strike could do us." She crossed her arms. "Is it really worth it?"

"I don't know Smallzie, but it's a chance. And that's all we need."

"But is it a chance that we'll be willing to take?"

Jo Jo stayed silent, being not so sure himself.

"Exactly..." Smalls turned away. "But..." she twisted her head back. "if it really means this much to you and 'Hattan, I'll talk to Conlon about it." She shook her head. "He's not all just brawn ya know."

Jo Jo stifled a laugh.

"I know."

"See you around."