Chapter 3: Really? You Couldn't Refrain From Taking That Bread?

OH MY GODS! I AM SO SORRY, I WAS WAITING ON BETA TO FINISH EDITING BUT THEN I NEVER SENT HER THE CHAPTER SO I FORGOT TO UPDATE! I'M SO SORRYYYY

Chapter is currently unedited because Beta is lazy and I dont have time to wait for her <3

"Will ya's quit followin' me around?" Race huffed, crossing his arms.

"Will ya quit hating me?"

"I don't hate you." Race crossed his arms, glaring down the small newsie. "I just don't tolerate you." And with that, he promptly walked away.

"Ain't dat da same thing?" She yelled, throwing her hands up.

"Nope." Race continued to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

"Nope!" Anastasia mimicked, making her voice deep. "Cause I'm Racetrack Higgins and I hate this poor little goil who's pretending to be a boy." She put her hands on her hips, huffing.

"What's da mattah with you?" Jack looked down at the smaller girl (who was currently huffing and puffing). "We gotta start sellin' before dem generous customers are gone."

They both walked back to Irving Hall.

"EXTRA EXTRA!" Jack yelled.

"Hey Jack?" Anastasia asked in a quiet voice, which shocked the older boy since she seemingly was always loud.

"What's up kid?" He tilted his head back to her after an old lady handed him a penny.

"Why does Race hate me?"

"Not everyone has to like you Stasia." Jack smiled softly. "Just look at me! I can't even count the amount of people that hate me."

"Why?" Anastasia tilted her head. "Is it cause no one hates you?"

Jack laughed at her response.

"No, cause there's more den five."

"Oh." Anastasia said, her voice small.

"It's just how life woiks kid." Jack explained. "Don't worry about it too much, sometimes things are out of your reach."

"But this is in my reach." Anastasia explained. "He's just a bundle of grumpiness... cold hearted grumpiness."

"Whatever you say kid." Jack rolled his eyes. "Extra Extra!"

"What can I do for Race not to hate me?" Anastasia asked.

Jack thought for a moment.

"Just be there for him." He put a hand on Anastasia's shoulder.

"Got it!" She picked up her papers.

"Whoa, where you goin' kid?" Jack watched as she put them in her bag.

"Of to the races, duh! See ya Jackie."

And with that, she was off.

~~~~~~📰~~~~~~

"What up Higgins?" Anastasia made her voice deep as she greeted the blonde boy.

"What do you want Redwood." Race groaned.

"I want what you want." She grinned, feeling proud of herself.

"You want to die?"

Her eyes quickly snapped up to see the grin of Racetrack Higgins. "Hah, youse so easy to trick."

"Uh huh- well- well youse so easy to punch!" She raised her fist.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah!" She was about to charge at him when a cop grabbed the back of Race's shirt.