XXVI

The next day....

I didn't sleep at all last night. Grieving sucks yk. The last time I felt so numb was when my grandma took me the night my parents died. I remember that night like it was yesterday.

"You good ma?" Trayvon asked, startling me.

"Yea. Just have a lot on my mind. Ugh this place has so many memories." I sighed.

We were currently at my grandma's. We decided to spend a bit more time here before we sell the house. Ik it's gonna be hard but it's for the best.

"Come wimme. I wanna show you something." He told me, leading me outside onto the front porch.

My heart melted from what I saw. There was bouquet of flowers, candles and pictures of my grandma out on the driveway. I watched little kids put more notes as well.

"This is beautiful." I said trying to stop myself from tearing up. I felt his strong arms wrap around my waist as we watched the rest of the community bring forward beautiful gifts in memory of her.

After a while, the sun started to set meaning it was soon time for us to meet the others. My heart ached at what was yet to come. I mean Trayvon was ruthless. I already know this so called 'plan' isn't gonna be good at all.

"I remember the day I lost my pops." He spoke breaking the silence.

I was shocked. I mean, we haven't really spoke about our pasts so this was new. I stared at him as he struggled to continue.

"Look Tray we don't have to talk about this-

"Nah I want to. If we gon be together, I want you to know the truth." He interrupted.

I simply nodded and watched as his facial expression changed.

"I was only 14 when my dad was murdered in cold blood. It was just me, pops and my sis. My mom left according to pops.

I always knew that my dad was a gang leader. Me and my sister were constantly feared, we were respected back in Chicago. As much as it was a privilege, i just wanted to live a normal life. Without the gang shit. Just a peaceful life.

But ig that shit don't run in my family. Although my father was always busy running the streets, he always made time for his kids. We were his number one priority.

Anyways, it was a chill day and my dad took us out to get some ice cream. We had fun ofc and he always asked about our days. A tinted Cadillac slowly drove past.

He was too busy on the phone to realise what tf was going on. Before I could say anything, shots were fired. My fathers' lifeless body collapsed, drowning in his own blood. I got glimpse of the shooter before the car sped off. It was The Latin Kings.

My sister and I stood there in shock. I ain't never cried so much in my entire life. After that day, we got put in the system and Keisha and I vowed to always protect each other ever since." He explained in detail, staring into the open as he expressed himself.

I was lost of words. I didn't know what to say. You would never had expected something like that from him.

"That must have been so traumatic for you. I'm so sorry Tray. Thank you for telling me." I responded softy rubbing his back as he pulled me into a hug.

"You know you ain't gotta come tonight." Trayvon spoke pulling away, looking into my eyes.

"Trayvon that was my grandma that they killed. She took me in when nobody else did. I've never been so angry and hurt in my entire life. I'm finna make sure every single one of them Latin King motherfuckas pay. Even if it kills me." I replied sternly.

Trayvon was clearly taken aback. I don't think he's ever seen this side of me before. Ion even care, that wasn't important.

"Let's get back to the house. We gotta meet the others soon." He sighed, grabbing my hand as we left the house.

I looked back and admired the beautiful memorial of my grandma on the driveway. She would of loved this. It shows how much the neighbourhood loved my grandma.

I never thought I would get involved in this whole gang shit. But all this pain that these Latin Kings have caused just makes my blood boil.

I know my grandma wouldn't want to get her justice this way but the police didn't give af. They practically closed the whole case due to insufficient evidence. They can all kiss my ass.

As much as I wanted my revenge, a part of me felt kind of afraid. Yea I tend to get mad sometimes but I ain't no killer. Well that's what I thought....