XVII

"Ohhhhhh my favourite babies are hereeee!" Grandma exclaims as me and Tray both walked into the hospital room

There were flowers that stood on her nightstand, probably sent by family members and some jazz music played on the television. I felt this wave of peace when I stepped into the room. I loved it.

"Hi Grandma!" I chuckled softly, pulling her into a big hug.

"Oh Trayvonnnn!" She exclaimed with a bright smile as they both shared a hug.

We both take seats beside her. She groans slightly as she tries to push herself up. I could tell by the tone of her voice, she was weak as hell.

"Why you two ain't come see me huh? Got me stuck in this damn place all by myself." She pouts making me and Tray laugh.

"Grandma it's only been a few days." I say in between my laugh.

"Oh I know. I've just been in need of some company ever since I started chemotherapy. Doctors are saying my hair should be falling out soon. What a shame." She sighs, her mood completely changing.

"It'll be fine, Mrs Latoya. You gotta stay strong like the woman you are. Never give up like my mama used to say." He comforts her resting his hand against hers.

I loved how close Trayvon and my grandma was. It warmed my heart.

"Oh enough about me." She waved us off, wiping the sudden tears that streamed down her face. Grandma hated being emotional. She always thought it 'ruined her character.'

"What's been going on with you two huh?" She smirks giving us both the 'look.'

I clear my throat, completely avoiding looking at Trayvon.

"What are you talking about? Nothing is going on between us." I lied.

"Girl you betta not be lying to me. Ik when two ppl are in love. You both remind me of my husband and I. Oh we we're known as the 'two lovebirds'. Completely inseparable." Grandma explains with a big smile, remembering the good old times she had with my grandpa. Rest Easy Grandpa.

"I see the way you look at each other. How much time you spend with each other. Who would of known you would become so close in just under a month! I can see a spark in both of you. Y'all may not see it but I do." She went on.

I look at Tray from the corner of my eye. He was already staring at me. This moment lasted a few seconds as we both take in my grandma's words.

It made me really think about things. I haven't been in love since my relationship with my ex. I've been afraid of loving someone ever since.

There was no way Trayvon was in love with me. I guess he just cares about me cause of my Grandma. He's too busy running a gang to be in love rn.

I sat with my thoughts as the conversation went on for hours. We played card games and ended up watching a Tina Turner documentary. The awkward tension between Tray and I remained.

I looked over to my grandma who was fast asleep.

"We should probably get going." Trayvon whispered getting up from his chair.

I stood up and walked over to where grandma laid and planted a gentle kiss on her cheek.

We finally leave the hospital after being there for hours. It was sunset which looked so beautiful to me.

Once we were both settled in his truck, Tray gets a sudden phone call. "Red🩸" it read as he quickly accepted the call.

I sighed knowing Tray was going off to handle 'business' again.

"Aight say less. Gimme 20 minutes." He spoke before ending the call.

"Something came up. Imma be gone for the rest of the evening. You cool with that?" He asked me, driving out of the hospital.

"Go do what you have to do. Imma just chill with Nora for a bit since we haven't hanged out all week. My best friend, Natasha, is flying in this weekend with her boyfriend. If your cool with that?" I explained as we got closer to the house.

"I'm cool with it. Luckily I ain't doing nothing this weekend so you straight." He responded pulling over.

"Okay well keep ya phone on and be safe." I say more seriously, opening the door.

"You know I gotchu ma." He responded smirking.

I watch as he drives off, speeding like he always does. I won't be surprised if he gets a ticket one of these days.

I called Nora as I entered the house.

"Hey girlllll! You doing anything rn?" I ask her as I settle in.

"Oh I was about to go and get some Taco Bell. Imma come and pick you up and we can go together!" She replied excitedly.

"Aight see ya!" I said ending the call.