Chapter 38 | Drunk Sirius

"HEY AMELIA!" Sirius exclaimed drunkenly sitting on the stone cold floor of the street. Amelia stared at her father wide eyed in horror at his condition. His clothes almost torn up, he looked totally disheveled and also had a gash on his cheek bone with dried out blood on it smeared with dirt. His cheeks damp and eyes red as if he had been crying.

   "What are you doing here?" Amelia cried out in horror, "And what has happened with you?"

     Sirius replied by gulping large sips of his wine and staring at her with a dazed weak look, and shook his head looking away while twitching his lips. Amelia worriedly, with a heavy heart stared at him for an answer but he wouldnt reply.

   "Why are you sitting here out like this? What has happened?"

    Sirius let out a humourless chuckle staring at the sky with his brimming eyes and shook his head, "Nothing, my dear."

    Amelia's eyes furrowed in worry and sadness, there was something painful in his voice, and she feared if the pain was because of her. Sighing softly she crouched down to his level and asked in a quiet tone, "What are you doing here like this? W-why — why didnt you come home?" 

   She felt betrayed by her own words, it pained her to say that as if nothing really happened and it hurt even more because of the look Sirius gave her, a look of pure confusion, hurt and sadness.

   "I wasnt suppossed to come." He said in a cracked tone.

   Swallowing a lump down her throat harshly she gave him a fierce look, "That doesnt mean you were suppossed to be sitting here in this freezing weather with bottle of beer in your hands!"

   "They kicked me out." He said a bit bitterly looking ahead of him. She assumed he meant the people of any bar or pub by 'they', where he sat for the whole evening. Then her eyes directly went to fall on that gash on his cheek and her breath hitched.

   "Then why didnt you come home from there?" She asked with an annoyed look. He looked back at her with his expressions softening as he held a weak slurry smile, "Your birthday was still going on, I didnt want to ruin it."

    Amelia couldnt stare longer in those pained eyes similar to hers, she looked away with a heavy heart and stood up muttering, "You should come back in now."

   When he didnt answer or do anything, she felt a bit more annoyed and glanced back at him angrily, "It is freezing out her, come in."

   "But your birthday—"

   "Its over, everyone left." She said interrupting him sharply not being able to take the guilt more and more, no matter what her history had been with him, she still felt that she was the reason for his this condition right now.

    She watched him trying to standing up with a great deal of effort, something in him told her that he is more hurt physically. He tried to stand up with the support of the wall but almost stumbled back to fall down before Amelia quickly reached holding his arm not letting him fall.

   "Come." She encouraged softly, holding his arm with an overwhelmed feeling. But before she could move along, she halted as her eyes fell on something left behind, a wallet.

  She recognised it to be his, and bent down picking it up, she saw it was left open revealing a picture inside it, Amelia's mouth parted on seeing the picture. Sirius and Sierra with a baby in their arms smiling towards the camera happily.

    She didnt know why but seeing that suddenly sent a stroke of pain in her chest, the picture was as unreal to her as anything. It was her family picture. How she wished everything to be back as that in the picture, but it was not possible. Letting out a shaky breath she closed the wallet and turned around to see Sirius had already left.