Chapter 22

"Branch! What are you doing!?" Poppy yelled, as he dragged her down the hall, the two angry trolls chasing after them.

     "Get back here!" Holly demanded, but Branch just kept running, his heart racing in terror, as he tried to escape.

     Quickly, he turned the corner, rushing into communications, where he pushed Poppy into the corner, holding his hand gently over her mouth so she couldn't speak, as he listened closely to the trolls still out in the hall.

     "Where did they go, y'all?" Holly asked, looking around in confusion. Luckily, the two of them had not seen Branch and Poppy turn into the room they were currently right in front of.

     Branch gulped, his eyes wide as he tried to remain as silent as possible, waiting for them to leave, he and Poppy hidden tightly in the corner of the darkish room.

     "Come on," Nataly finally stated. "Maybe they went this way."

     Quickly, the two girls ran away, Branch sighing with relief as he turned back to his girlfriend, releasing her from his protective grasp.

     "What the heck were you thinking, Poppy!?" he yelled in a stern whisper. "You almost got yourself killed!"

     Poppy blinked, staring at him wide eyed, a bit confused by the question.

     "What was I thinking..." she repeated after what seemed like an eternity. "What were you thinking!? Why would you save me!? They were going to let you go!"
"I don't want to be let go, Poppy!" he yelled in reply. "I'd rather them eject me into space for all of eternity, than watch you die for something you didn't even do!"

     She was speechless...

     "Wha... what?" she finally asked softly. "But... but I said..."
"I know what you said..." he sighed, softening his tone as he gazed straight into her beautiful pink eyes. "And I don't believe you for a second..."
"But... but Branch..." she started, but he quickly cut her off.
"I know you, Poppy," he said, taking her hands gently in his. "You wouldn't do that."

     She sighed, lowering her head in defeat.

     "Ok... fine... I lied..." she admitted. "I just..." She looked back up at him, tears beginning to form in her eyes. "I couldn't stand to see them kill you... I... I love you, Branch..."

     He smiled slightly, leaning over to hug her tight.

     "I love you too, Poppy..." he whispered, shutting his eyes gently, just enjoying being close to her. "So much..."

     She pulled away slightly, looking up at him sadly.

     "You... you didn't do it... right?" she asked, still not fully sure what to believe.

     "Of course not, Poppy," he answered, not even feeling offended by the question. What was happening... it was a lot to take in... he didn't blame her for being a bit skeptical. "I promise."

     Poppy smiled, crying harder as she hugged him tight once more.

     "I believe you," she whispered to him. "I believe you, Branch..."

     He sighed. This time it was his turn to pull away from her.

     "I know you do," he told her softly. "But the others... they don't... and... and if it's the only way to make sure you stay safe..."

     Poppy's eyes widened as she gasped softly, staring at Branch in disbelief. She knew what he was about to say...

     "No... no, Branch. You're not doing this..." she said firmly, taking his hands in hers.

     "I... I'm scared, Poppy..." he admitted, looking up at her with tears in his eyes. "I'm scared to die... I'm afraid of what comes next... but... I'm more afraid... of losing you... I can't live without you, Poppy. I just can't..."

     He sat down on the floor, hugging his knees close to his chest as he leaned up against the wall.

     Slowly, Poppy sat down next to Branch, wrapping him a comforting hug.

     "Everything will be ok, Branch," she assured softly. "Neither one of us is going to die. We... we can find another way... we just need to figure out who the real imposter is."

     He looked back up at her, sighing softly.

     "Ok..." he finally said. "But... how do we do that?"
"I think I have a plan," she answered with a fiendish grin.