Chapter 10

Branch walked through the corridor quickly, looking closely at his list of tasks. The quest had just begun and yet he was already almost done. He had always been a very proficient troll, but now... he seemed to be working twice as hard. His gut told him something wasn't quite right with this place, a voice screaming at him to leave. But to do that... everyone would first have to finish all of their tasks...

He headed down the long hallway, walking straight into a dark room, where he instantly froze, looking around in fear.

Electrical... it was just another room like all the others on this ship... so why was it so scary?

Four tasks... that's how many he would have to do in there. And then he was done. All of his tasks would be finished after this, so he had no choice but to continue forwards.

Cautiously, he walked into the room, heading towards the back where his tasks were.

Calibrate Distributor... check... Divert Power... check... Fix Wiring... check...

Well... this was going pretty quickly. Only one last task to do now... Download Data...

The blue troll watched, as a little character ran from one file to another on the small rectangular screen.

     As he watched the task, he just couldn't shake the feeling he was being watched

Slowly, he turned, looking around. No one was in sight.

"Hello?" he called out into the darkness surrounding him. "Is anyone there?"

No reply...

He looked back at his task, seeing it was only 2% done. Why was this taking so long!?

'Creeeeek...'

The sound made his ear twitch, as he jumped, quickly spinning around to see what had caused it, but still... no one was there...

Something was wrong here... he could feel it. He had to get out, but he also had to finish this task. Otherwise... they'd never get home...

With a gulp, he turned back to the screen, internally begging it to go faster.

'Come on... come on...'

5%...

     "What the hair! Hurry the frosting up!" Branch yelled out in anger, hitting the screen to hopefully make it go faster.

     1%...

     "Ugh!"

     'Scraaaatch...'

     He flinched at the sound, his heart racing in terror.

     "Who's there!?" he demanded, his fear being heard clearly in his shaky voice. "Show yourself!"

     Still... no reply...

     Quickly, he turned back to the task, seeing it was still only at 4%. Why did this task have to take so long!?

     Behind the massive electrical box, a figure was hiding in the shadows, watching as the blue troll began to anxiously tap his foot rapidly against the floor, still watching the download percentage.

     99%...

     "Please..." Branch begged in a whisper, staring straight at the task in front of him with wide, pleading eyes, sweat pouring down his face as his heart raced. "Please... hurry..."

     100%

     "Yes!" he cried out in relief, immediately turning to run out of the room as quickly as possible, but by this point... it was too late...

     He turned, immediately seeing the figure standing right behind him, something looking like a knife in their hand...

     "AHHHHH!"