23. Mighty Mouse

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREEMIGHTY MOUSE

MIGHTY MOUSE

◥✤◤

     For the next two hours, Luna stayed in her room trying to work on the song she was writing at Pop's during the forty-eight hour break the Black Hood gave the town but she was still struggling. She wasn't planning on playing the song at FP Jones' retirement party so she was in no rush to finish it but it was frustrating that she couldn't get the lyrics out. It seemed like a case of writer's block which made Luna sigh as she leaned against the pillows and ran her fingers through her black hair. She dropped the notebook and pen beside her on the bed and looked out the small window on the slanted ceiling. The sun was setting and it was getting darker outside when she heard the front door slam shut and knew their mother was finally home. Luna stood up and went downstairs to the kitchen where her mother was putting down a bag of takeout on the dinner table.

     "As you can see, I didn't feel like cooking tonight," she said when she saw Luna standing there. "Go get your sister and wash your hands."

     "Sure thing, Mom," Luna replied as she nodded shortly and went upstairs to Rosalie's room and walked in.

     "Does no one in this house know what knocking is?" Rosalie asked in annoyance as she sat up and glared at Luna.

     "Knock knock. Mom's home with takeout and she wants us to wash our hands and be down there," Luna replied with her hands on her hips and Rosalie rolled her eyes as she walked right past her. "And people say I have an attitude."

     The both of them washed their hands in the kitchen as their mother was putting down three plates on the table. Once they filled their plates, they sat down and so did their mother. This was usually the part where their mom asked the girls about their day and most of the time, there weren't many interesting stories to share. So that was why when she asked this time and Rosalie opened her mouth, Luna wanted to stab the table with her fork and pretend it was her annoying sister's face.

     "Luna had Fangs and Sweet Pea over," Rosalie said and Luna rolled her eyes.

     Their mother looked at the younger sister who just sat there and shrugged her shoulders. "I also had my usual friends over. All we did was soundproof the garage so we don't have to practice in the abandoned music room anymore," she simply replied before taking another bite out of her food.

     "I don't like the thought of having gang members in my house," Julia said sternly and Luna sighed.

     "Mom, about ninety-nine percent of the students at Southside High are gang members. And Fangs and Sweet Pea are fine so you don't need to worry about them," she said.