11. Life on the Southside

CHAPTER ELEVENLIFE ON THE SOUTHSIDE

CHAPTER ELEVEN
LIFE ON THE SOUTHSIDE

◥✤◤

     "Can you believe it's only been a month?" Naomi asked as she dramatically threw her head back while the others laughed at her antics.

     "Everything moves slower here," Kai chuckled.

     "Welcome to the Southside where everything moves slowly and almost everybody we know is a gangbanger," Peyton laughed and so did everyone else at her false advertisement.

     "I mean, it's true," Luna said as she tuned her guitar.

     It was early in the morning and they all agreed to meet up in the music room and run through a song or two before school started. They already decided on which song to start with and Maya was just waiting behind her drum set for the others to finish tuning their instruments while Kai just sat in the corner with his laptop open.

     "Hey, at least you guys can bring people together with your heartfelt music," he said with a crooked smile.

     "Are you guys ready yet? I really wanna do this!" Maya said as she grabbed her drumsticks and bounced in her seat with excitement.

     "Okay, Okay! Let's get started," Luna laughed as she, Naomi and Peyton stood in a wide curve facing Maya.

     Kai sat in the corner smiling as he watched his friends play their song and the girls were having just as much fun rehearsing. Outside in the hallway, Sweet Pea could hear the music and looked through the window of the door out of curiosity. Halfway through the song, Luna caught Sweet Pea looking through the window but her little distraction caused her to bust a string and it threw the song off.

     "What happened?" Peyton asked.

     "Sorry, I'll restring it right away," Luna said as she removed the strap from her shoulder and saw that Sweet Pea was still standing outside the music room. "I'll be right back."

     She stepped out into the hallway where Sweet Pea was and put her hands in her pockets as she leaned against the wall. "Did I interrupt something?" he asked and Luna just shrugged her shoulders.

     "Well, I am now down an E-sixth string but you didn't interrupt," she replied.

     "I could hear it down the hall and I got curious. I thought the music room was too dusty to breathe in," Sweet Pea said.

     "It was but we cleaned it after practically being kicked out of the garage so we're just using this room until we can get our old space soundproofed," Luna explained.