43.

During the next few months not much happened. Yeji focused on school and continued to learn self defense. She became closer to her friend group in Seoul and Wooyoung. Visited her family a few times although she never ran into Ryujin during her visits.

Soobin had informed her that during those months there had been a couple of arrests but nothing came from it. Both men being freed before a case could be formed against them. The witnesses simply retracting their statements against the men.

Of course by now it had become obvious to them this was a matter of organized crime. Who else could intimidate someone into not talking to the police? Yeji attempted to speak to one of the witnesses but he had declined to say a word about it.

By the time she was back home again, it was christmas time.

"Can you make extra food?" Hyunjin asked their mother, hovering near her.

"Are you that hungry?" Yeji questioned, trying to mock her brother.

"No." Hyunjin replied while making a face at her. "It's for Ryujin. She can't cook and will end up eating noodles like she does every Christmas."

"Isn't Mr. Shin spending Christmas with her?" Their mother questioned but already starting to prepare more ingredients.

"If he even remembers. I expect nothing from that man."

"Hyunjin." Their mother warned him, receiving a shrug from her brother.

"You should see him, ma. I'm telling you, i rather dad being gone than to have a father like that."

"Oh." Yeji let out, feeling a sudden sadness both because of the sudden mention of her father and from thinking of Ryujin spending Christmas with someone who's like that.

"Can you invite her?" Yeji suggested.

"To spend Christmas? I doubt she would say yes. She's stubborn and hates when others pity her."

"You should try, if you're worried about her. I've always told you she's more than welcome to come over and that includes Christmas. If any of you two ever see a friend who needs help-"

"We should help them." the two siblings said at the same time. Both chuckling.

They had been told that many times during their childhood. To the point of memorizing it.

"Invite her. I'm okay with it." Yeji told Hyunjin, shrugging as if it wasn't a big deal. But deep down she was hoping the other would agree. Otherwise Yeji might have to show up at her door and force her to come home with her.

It wasn't easy but eventually Hyunjin managed to convince Ryujin. After much persistence and mentioning that both Yeji and their mother were happy to welcome the girl into their home.

That saved her a trip.

Yeji had actually purchased something to give to the girl for Christmas. She hadn't planned to do it but one day she was doing her gift shopping back in Seoul and she saw something that would be perfect for the other.

It was much more expensive than anything she had ever bought before but Yeji thought it was worth it.

Maybe she would give it after the night was over, once everyone had exchanged their gifts already.

She didn't want Hyunjin or her mother questioning why Yeji would be giving the other such an expensive gift.

Truth was, she didn't have an explanation for it.

Ryujin arrived just as the sun was going down, standing at her door with a long jacket on, beanie and a bright smile. Carrying some gifts with her, she thanked Yeji for allowing her into their home on that day.