Chapter 12: The Battle of The Bands

The next day, the group had decided that there would no time to waste having anymore fun as everyone agreed that it was time to practice the counter-spell against the Dazzlings' magic. They were all currently at Sweet Apple Acres in Applejack's garage trying to play the counter-spell as all of the Rainbooms were playing their instruments while Twilight was singing. The bad thing is that nobody was feeling the groove as the song sounded rather below average with Twilight singing slightly off-key.

Twilight Sparkle: ♪ Hey, hey, listen ♪

She winces at a squeal of feedback.

♪ We've got a message for you ♪

♪ We're not all alike ♪

♪ But our friendship is true ♪

More feedback sends Spike diving for cover, while Sunset tweaks a knob and claps hands to ears.

♪ Yeah, we're really different ♪

Fluttershy begins to showboat a little, but stops playing at a sidelong look from Rainbow.

♪ But we still get along ♪ 

♪ So hey, hey, listen to our song ♪

Her tambourine starts up again at Rainbow's frantic wave. Applejack and Rarity start to manifest hints of their pony ears, but more feedback wipes these out and makes them wince. Pinkie has gotten so bored that she stops playing and balances one stick vertically on a fingertip.

♪ You may think you're in control ♪

♪ But we're here to prove you wrong ♪

She resumes upon finding Applejack and Rarity's glares fixed on her. (Y/N) was spacing out with a slight smirk on his face most likely due to something that didn't involve the song and Rainbow Dash nudges him with a glare to tell him to stay focused on the song. Outside, Granny Smith walks past, stuffing an apple core into each ear to block out the noise.

♪ With our friendship and our music ♪

Twilight tries to sing into her microphone while squinting at the notebook and Fluttershy cringes at the result.

♪ With the power of our song ♪

Rainbow Dash stands up into view for a solo as one pony ear begins to emerge.

♪ Gonna stomp our feet, clap our hands ♪

♪ With the magic of friendship ♪

Neither Pinkie, Applejack, (Y/N), nor Rarity is enjoying this.

♪ Gonna stop your evil plan ♪

Another pony ear peeks out from Rainbow Dash's hair and she looks around and gets nothing from the other five, and sullenly lets the last note die out before the ears wink away.

Spike: Eh, that sounded. . . way better than the last. . . five times you've played it. Heh heh.

Big Mac then passes outside the window, carrying a basket of apples.

Big Mac: Nnope.

Spike lets off an unsettled little whine.

Rainbow Dash: I think it's pretty obvious what's going wrong with this counter-spell.