CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

Start from the beginning

          Shocked, his eyes transferred from Monica to the members of his family. They skated over Phoebe, landing on Fiona, jaw tight. Phoebe had to remind herself that she didn't care if he looked at her anyway. "What, I'm off the boat for one minute and there's a fucking mutiny?" he asked dramatically. Fiona scoffed. "Yeah, well no one told you to get out of the boat," she responded. His brows rose for a moment. "Actually, you did." Estefania's eyes met Phoebe's and she flashed the brunette a smile. The younger girl's eyes widened. "Hey, Lip, don't be mad at Fiona," Monica tried to interfere. She was taking the parenting thing pretty seriously. Lip looked at the woman in surprise. "Hey, Monica, shut up. You know what, like most of my life, this has nothing to do with you." Estefania grabbed Lip's sleeve and pointed at Alan's abandoned spot. "I sit?" she asked.

          "What? Yeah, sit. Wherever's fine." She was quick to take the seat beside Phoebe, sitting rather close. "Olá," Phoebe greeted the girl, getting a surprised gasp in return. "Ah, olá! Você fala português?" Phoebe wasn't completely sure what she had said. Ever since Steve started bringing her around, Phoebe thought she should probably try and learn Portuguese. It could maybe help Estefania feel more welcome, more at home, but the language was definitely not easy to learn. "Meu português não é muito bom," she admitted, hoping she hadn't butchered the statement. "When did you become the Duo Lingo owl?" Fiona asked, obviously upset by Phoebe fraternizing with the enemy. She turned toward the older girl with a nervous smile. "I study a lot," she lied. "My brain is always eating."

          "Você é muito bonita." Estefania took a piece of Phoebe's hair, examining her haircut with interest. "Você quer ser um menino?" Phoebe turned her attention back onto Estefania, her brow set in confusion. "Huh?" Her attention turned back to Lip storming off, his heavy footsteps echoing off of the metal bleachers. What had she missed? Fiona slapped her hand over her forehead before stepping over Phoebe's legs. "Your son's a real prick," Frank commented before taking a swig of his beer. "What is... uh.." Estefania patted Phoebe's arm, trying to get her attention. "Name?" The younger girl looked back to the Brazilian sitting next to her. Her cheeks flushed once she noticed how close she had gotten. "Phoebe," she answered, smiling over at the girl. "Phoebe," Estefania repeated, beaming at the girl. "You gave away my seat?"

          Alan stood in front of them in confusion, hands outstretched, palms up. "You snooze, you lose," Phoebe responded with a pout. He rolled his eyes at her dramatics. Instead of arguing, he climbed the bleachers to come up behind her, sitting with his knees on either side of her. "Hey, can you speak Portuguese?" she asked curiously. His eyebrows lifted questioningly. "We should ask her for a threesome." Her voice dropped lower than a whisper. Alan stared at her for a moment. "Shouldn't you ask her husband first?" he queried. She shrugged her shoulders. "I'd rather ask her first and save the embarrassment if Steve says yes and she says no." She grimaced at the thought of being rejected in front of Steve of all people. "So, you know Portuguese?"

          "It's not great," he admitted, "but I do know it." She smiled up at him, patting his cheek gently. "You really are a jack of all trades, huh?" He leaned down to peck her lips, fingers catching her chin between them. She sighed into the kiss, mouth turning up into a smile. He pulled back with a ghost of a smirk, his fingers dragging gently over her skin. "Okay," he sighed. "I'll ask." She bit down on her bottom lip, nervous for her answer. She wouldn't be upset if she said no. She'd be a little embarrassed, but it wouldn't warrant a sudden change in mood. Alan cleared his throat before tapping Estefania lightly on the shoulder. "Olá," he began, the girl smiling at him. "Você gostaria de fazer sexo com a gente?" Sexo, Phoebe thought. Not very subtle. Estefania stared at Alan for a moment before slapping him. Phoebe gasped in surprise. It was a justified response, but it still shocked her.