HOME

TW - Self-Harm, Mental Illnesses

--

Sarah talked a lot with the doctors. I was sure I would go back to hospital. But when she came back to my room, with doctors Robbins and Wilson, I could notice a big smile on her face. Dr Wilson checked my wounds, they were deep but the nurses and doctors were able to close them. Sarah stood next to me and Dr Robbins stayed in front of my bed. She started talking.

"Gabrielle you scared us. We're all glad you're life is no longer in danger."

I smiled weakly.

"We talked a long time with Ms Paulson and we took a decision, together." She continued. My heart was racing inside my chest.

"You're coming home." Said Dr Robbins.

"Really ?!" I asked, not sure it was true.

"Yes, well, kinda..." Answered Sarah.

"What does that means ?" I asked again.

"We figured out that the school environment wasn't good for you. It is toxic. Bumping into your previous classmates, having to see the school every time you open the window... It's not good for you, and your mental health. So we're moving out."

"What ?!?" I was choked. "You're joking, right ?"

"No honey, we'll find a new house, a place where you feel good, where you feel at home." Answered Sarah, looking straight into my eyes. Her brown eyes were hopeful and it gave me strength to fight again. I realized I was going to build a new family, with only Sarah and I.

I stayed at the hospital for a little week, just for the doctors to heal my cuts easier and to make sure I won't have any big scars.

Then we came back at Sarah's apartment, in the school. I was looking at my phone while climbing the stairs and entering the studio and it's only when I tried to sit on the couch that I realized it wasn't here anymore. I nearly fell on the floor but Sarah caught me in time.

"Careful honey." She said.

"Where are all the furniture ??" I asked looking around me. Every thing had disappeared and the apartment was empty. Sarah smirked and talked again.

"While you were at the hospital, I rid the apartment. All our things are in a truck, waiting for their new home... Like you and me !"

"But how did you find the time to do that, with all your classes ?" I asked confused. A slight silence filled the room and Sarah looked at me with her deep dark eyes. I loved when she was doing that, it was so reassuring and impressing at the same time.

"I quit. This school is also toxic for me and I don't get along well with the other teachers." She sighed. "But I'll find a new school, close to our new place, where I'll feel good and maybe you too !"

I was so happy. I was going to have Sarah just for me, in a new home... Heaven.

During a whole week, we visited a lot of houses. Some of them were huge, like mansions and some of them were little and cute. We also visited apartments, in cities or in the middle of nowhere... And it was time to make a decision. We were discussing about our favorites houses and defending our arguments.

"But this one is bigger !" I said.

"We don't need a house as big as this one Gabrielle, it's just the two of us."

"But look at the bathrooms in this one, it's like a dream house don't you think ?"

"No, you check this garden, it seems so peaceful..." Sarah replied.

We spent few days debating on the next place we wre going to live in, and an evening, very late so more like a night, we found it. The perfect house. It was in the middle of a big city, and next to some fields at the time. The garden was so pretty and the house had enough rooms for more than two people, but without being too big at the same time. Perfect. We were able to have it two days after Sarah signed the papers so we stayed at the hotel for more than a week, because of the days we spent looking for the right house.

Sarah and I were so close at the hotel, we shared the same room but we were not sleeping in the same bed because I move a lot when I'm asleep. Sarah was able to check on me all the time as we were sharing the bathroom. I had few appointments with my doctors but as I was seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist every week, I had a lot of free time. And as Sarah had resigned, she had also free time. We went to the museum, we were eating in parks, doing long walks next to the river, playing games until it was too dark so we couldn't see what we were doing and we were laughing so much, laughing all night long until our eyelids closed by themselves. Time seemed to stop for a while. And when we were able to settle in our new home, Sarah and I were closer than ever.