Chapter Twenty-Seven: Life Goes On

Começar do início

I drove home excitedly to give Alister my present. I pulled into the driveway and the yard was filled with cars, Alister had some nice caring friends with slutty mothers, I knew they were really here for Atticus, jokes on you ladies he likes another woman-HA. I said thinking back to how pathetic I sound, since that woman wasn't me.

I walked into the house and Alister had his birthday dinosaur suit on, he turned to look at me and his eyes lit up when he saw the car.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BEST KID I KNOW!" I screamed and he ran into my arms embracing my hug, I loved this kid to the moon and back, he really grew on me. It's like we had a connection I just couldn't pin point, What if? No! No, Miss Lola is getting in my head.

"This is the best present ever." He whispered in my ears not to insult his friends.

"I know, I'm great." I said smiling widely at him.

"Daddy!" He ran to his father's direction. It's funny how Atticus and I have been living in the same house and not bumping into each other.

"Happy Birthday to my favorite child."

"I'm your only child." Alister responded and Atticus picked him up.

"And you're really great at it, four best years of my life." Atticus said and Alister kissed his cheek. He placed Alister down and he went running with his friends and then it was just us.

"Hi."

"Hey." I said looking around for something to do.

"You look like a nine year old."

"And you're looking." I said smiling and he chuckled before smiling back.

"How-how have you been?"

"I've been good, you?"

"Yeah-I'm okay." He responded and then it was silent again.

"I'm looking for a job."

"Louisa."-

"I need one, you're gonna have help soon."

"I didn't speak to her." He said and I looked up at him slightly joyful.

"Wa-why not? Atticus."-

"Because the guy was right about one thing, she was a serpent and I don't want to open that door again, when there's a much better one to go through." He said sweetly but it sounded sexual, curse my warp brain.

"That came out wrong." He said thinking the same thing I was thinking and we both burst out laughing.

"Daddy! The party is starting!" Alister said and Atticus rolled his eyes.

"How's the party starting when I didn't start it?"

"I did! Let's go! Let's go!" Alister screamed before running off. Atticus and I walked side by side outside to the pool where the party was being held.

...

Atticus had given a toast to Alister and allowed him to play with his friends. He sat at the bar looking on at his son playing.
He had no work interruptions because he took the day off to spend it with his son, his shirt was always tight, since he had broad shoulders.
The slutty mothers were all laughing and talking loud so that he can look their way but he simply did not.

"Hi, I came to check on my daughter, are you Alister's mom?" I heard a masculine voice come from behind me, I turned to be met with beautiful brown eyes.

"Oh wow." I said putting my cocktail down. "I'm sorry-No, I'm his nanny." I said stretching my hand out to shake it.

"Sorry for the outburst, it's just that you're-you're really good looking." I told him and he smiled making my heart melt. I needed to move on from Atticus so why not start right here with-who is he?