Chapter Twelve: It All Led to This

~Louisa POV~

I let the water cascade on my head as I sat on the shower floor, knees hugged close to my chest. I'm not apologizing for pulling away, it is my body, I get to decide who I want to touch me and I haven't been doing so well with physical touch because of my past.

You seem like the type of person who would understand, who would comfort me and tell me that everything will be okay, the past is the past.
But it's always like that with you men, 'the past is always the past' until you're ready to recreate or remix the hurt.

I cannot say that all men are the same, what I can say is that your behaviour is common. The patterns are not symmetrically the same but it happens.
One guy buys you flowers, compliments you, make out, you fall in love and then they hurt you. Another is going to compliment you first before they make out and you fall in love.

You see that's the thing, 'you' fall in love, they pretend to care to get what they want, it's a manipulative technique that is all too familiar. It isn't only common in men, women do it too. I turned the shower off and stepped out and looked at myself in the mirror. I was well rested yet I felt so tired, I looked tired.

I'm not running from anyone or protecting myself, I'm just tired of hiding. Why should I hide? I can easily report you for almost killing me and have you locked away where I know other women would be safe from you but what's a woman's words against a man in a man's world?

I heard knocking on the door and I expected to see Alister as he always came in the mornings but it was Atticus. I gripped my towel tighter and tucked my wet curls behind my ear.

"Louisa."

"Atticus, hi-good morning how are you?" I said trying to look him in the eyes but I already saw that sympathetic stare and I dreaded the question about to follow shortly.

"Who did that to you?" He asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about."-

"Louisa." He said raising his voice a bit and I took a deep breath out.

"You told me yesterday to stay out of your business, why are you trying to know mine?"

"Is it so wrong that I want to know about the woman, who's looking after my son?"

"You know-you didn't care to know about the type of woman you're taking in to look at your son when you offered me that job couple days ago, so it can remain the same."

"Louisa, I want to know."

"That's the thing Atticus, wants and needs are different, you want to know but you don't need to know. You don't need to pick up a shovel and dig me up and be buried in my dark past."

"So it's dark?"

"Atticus!" I called out his name exhausted with the back and forth.

"Stop snooping." I told him before turning to look through the window. I waited to hear the door close and when it did, I let out an exhausted sigh. I sat down on my bed and just pulled my hair back looking around.

I got dressed in a short dress, it hugged my body so perfectly. I went on my phone and just scrolled through the socials. Not that I had any friends but other people's lives are pretty exciting.

"Lou!" Alister said bouncing into my room with his iPad.

"Yes Ali!"

"What you doing?" He asked climbing onto the bed.

"Just scrolling through apps."

"I want you to follow me!" He said excitedly and I nodded before following him chuckling at his excitement.
I walked outside and there were flower petals trailing from my door to the step. I saw Atticus outside on the phone.
I raised my brows at him, meant to ask him what it was and he raised his shoulders and mouthing that he didn't know. I walked down the stairs and Alister had disappeared.