Chapter 27 - An Honest Woman

Kaia

We finally made it to the house. It was a pretty little thing, located in another small town hours away from the hotel. Elias told me it belonged to Alexander's grandma, and this was where we would be staying for the next while.

Elias pulled me out of the car and helped me up the front steps. It was hard to think straight with the blond bitch shooting daggers at the back of my head, there was no doubt she hated me even more now.

Alexander knocked on the door and a minute later, this short, adorable, mid-sixties-looking woman appeared in front of us. She had medium-length red hair that was greying, lighter skin, and freckles that covered her cheeks. With big thick glasses sliding down the bridge of her nose, and the same light brown eyes that her grandson had.

She was so fucking cute.

"Alexander! My boy!" she rushed outside, aggressively pulling him towards her. "Me alegro de verte, ¿cómo está todo?"

(it's so good to see you, how is everything)

Her Spanish accent made her even better. I wondered how long she had been living in America, and where were Alexander's parents? Was he closer to her than them? Were they even still alive?

"Si Estoy siendo honesto, no es Bueno" he replied, squeezing her like he hadn't been back in years. "There's a problem at the hotel, can we stay here for a bit?"

(if I'm being honest, not good)

"Mi hogar Siempre es Bienvenido para ti" she stepped back and glanced at the rest of us. Alexander's grandmother smiled at Elias and me, then when she saw Rachel, her face dropped. "¿Quién es esta chica guapa? ¿Y por qué trajiste a la puta aquí? Ella no puede quedarse."

(my home is always welcome to you. whos this pretty girl? and why did you bring the whore here? she cant stay)

"This is Kaia, my... my friend." Elias cut in, his grip on my waist tightening. "And we'll only be here for a couple of days." he turned around to face Rachel. "And if she acts out, she's gone."

That was the second time he called me his friend.

Why did I care?

No, I didn't. Remember the plan. Never did my father ask me to fall in love with him back. And I wasn't. It just seemed weird. After everything, he was calling me his fucking friend. That must have meant it wasn't working, and he wasn't falling for me. Maybe I was mistaken...

"Fine." the woman huffed, retreating into the house. "Come in."

When we got inside, Elias sat me down on the kitchen counter and ran off with Alex to create some sort of plan, whatever that was going to be. There wasn't much that could be done in this situation, Nathaniel had them backed into a corner.

How long could I keep up this act? It was getting tricky because I was starting to realize that I cared about what Elias said, and what he called me.

Friends were safe. If he loved me, and I didn't love him back, and we were just friends, then I wouldn't get hurt. But I could feel myself getting even more attached as the days went by. When it came time to kill Elias, which would come no matter how hard I tried to stop it, I would be left broken afterward.