Chapter 21 - Alexander

Kaia

Why did Alexander have to walk by at the exact moment I was stealing files from his boss's office? It would have been much more convenient, for me and him, so we could have avoided that awkward interaction.

But I'm pretty sure I got away with it because I returned to my room with no problems.

I sent photos of the files to my father. He was upset that I didn't get anything interesting, but nonetheless, he took it and stopped himself from complaining too much.

The night and day passed pretty quickly. I hadn't seen Angel and Brandy around, at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I asked the other girls if they had seen them, yet no one had.

As I lay in bed, my mind ran through multiple outcomes of the situation at hand. When was my father coming to the hotel? Did Brandy and Angel do what they were asked? Did they attempt to get information out of Elias's men?

In particular... Alexander?

He scared me the most, out of all the men I had met around here. It was something about his eyes, like if I looked into them for too long... I don't know. I just didn't trust the guy.

But who could I really trust here?

Why couldn't I sleep?

Because I haven't been able to sleep since I was eighteen.

The time on my phone read 10:30 pm. It was late.

Too late to see Elias?

Maybe, but I was sure he wouldn't mind me bothering him. And besides, since when do men like him go to bed at 10:30 pm?

Okay. I decided. I would go visit Elias. He could distract my mind and help me live in the moment. I didn't seem to worry as much when I was with him.

And I didn't need to change. Pajama pants and a tank top were enough, right? Or should I have put on a bra too? No. I didn't need one. Elias was a grown man. I'm sure he's seen a woman without a bra before.

Stepping out of my room, I locked the door and began walking to the elevator-

"Natalie?"

I froze on the spot, spinning around almost immediately. It was... Alexander... Alexander? How did he know about that name? Who told him?

"You mean Kaia?" I retorted.

"No." He deadpanned. "I mean Natalie."

Fuck.

In almost a blink of an eye, he was right beside me, pulling me until we were inside the same janitor's closet I had just made out with Elias in.

"Alexander, what do you want-"

"I want to know your real name."

He slammed the door shut and turned on the dim light. I looked up at him. Dark red messy curls, light brown eyes, and a nose piercing I hadn't noticed before. There was no doubting that he was attractive... yes, he was.

This is where I was supposed to play innocent, but there was something so intimidating about him I wanted to bolt out of here. If I did that, I would look guilty.

I didn't want him to know I was actually guilty.

"My real name is Kaia Robinson. I already told you this." I reached for the door handle, ready to leave. "Now please, let me go."

His hand folded around my wrist, keeping a grip tighter than I expected. "Are you lying to me?"

I gulped. "No."