Ch.14. Finders Keepers pt 1

Ignoring the urge to stay on the ground and sleep longer, you slowly sat up. The sleepiness was long gone when Sans unintentionally woke you up by trying to snuggle closer.

A soft blush appeared over your cheeks as you shook your head. Banishing the thought from your mind as you pulled the blanket off of you and crawled out of the tent - popping a monster candy into your mouth for your head on your way out.

Sans silently sat by the fire, his skull a light blue even when you moved to sit next to him.

The morning forest was chilly, the birds continued to sing their morning song despite the air of awkwardness around Sans.

A smirk crawled on your lips as you turned towards the skeleton - immediately masking the mischievousness with a look of confusion. "Soo.. are we going to talk about it?"

Sans' shoulders immediately tensed, his skull glowing a brighter blue as he refused to turn to face you, although muttered an embarrassed "about what?"

Shrugging your shoulders, you pointed at the direction of the trap. "How are we going to find them? I don't know how high off the ground I was, but I'm guessing we're no where near their 'base of operations'." You air-quoted, smiling slyly when a look of understanding flashed over Sans as he finally turned to you - although quickly looked at a tree, sweat marks appearing over his skull.

"how are you feeling?" Sans asked, directing the conversation away from the two other skeletons you've yet to meet. His hands intertwined as he fiddled with his thumbs.

Tilting your head, you frowned. "Fine. As long as I keep taking monster candy then I'll be okay."

Sans frowned at this. "human regulations states that humans can't consume more than a few pieces..."

"in this universe or mine?" You ask, tilting your head a bit to gaze into his sockets. His eyelights shifted into a different shape, but it switched back to his regular white dots before you could see it. It was a nano-second, after all.

Sans nervously laughed, pushing himself to stand. "lemme get breakfast!" And he disappeared with a soft 'pop'.

Staring in disbelief where Sans stood, you lightly shook your head and laughed. "I can't believe he ran away."

After changing into proper clothing for the day, you began packing up camp. Putting the two backpacks in your phone's storage and tore down the tent, fighting with it when it refused to fold correctly. Once you finished you began to put out the embers still burning from last night's fire.

You took another monster candy when the ground moved underneath your feet, stumbling a bit when your headache returned in full swing causing you to groan in mild pain.

A twig snapped caught your attention, sitting next to the tree stump while waiting for Sans to return. Checking the time, it was nearly an hour since he left.

Another twig snapped made you look up and examine the area. A worried frown drawn on your lips as you pushed yourself to stand, swaying slightly as your body protested.

The feeling of being watched was intense, and you were sure it wasn't a wild animal - the birds also stopped their song the first time you woke up.

Pursing your lips into a thin line, you put the tent into your phone's storage. The hairs on the back of your neck stood as a breeze brushed by, although everything was still and silent.

You knew from first hand experience that a still forest was never a good thing. Service on your phone was non existent, so you couldn't text Sans to come back — did you even have his number saved?

biting your lip, you turned around-

Narrowing your eyes at the bushes and tall trees, trying to get a better look. Although it was two seconds long, you could've swore you saw a flash of red.

"Hello!" You exclaimed, feeling your palms beginning to get clammy. Despite the creeping fear, you knew you couldn't show it, it could trigger whatever it was to attack or advance on you. "Uhm, I'm not lost.. I'm here to find someone?" You called, even though you weren't sure they were there anymore.

The forest remained still, the slight breeze being the only sound you could hear. Glancing back to the campsite, you lightly shook your head. Muttering to yourself about your own stupidity and ventured where you saw the red light.