Chapter 61

The Havoc was quiet. The soft hum of the ship was clouded by the sound of Hunter flipping his vibroblade between his fingers. He did it with ease, leaning back in his chair, just trying to pass the time. Omega was sitting on the floor in front of him, trying to fix the Gonk droid.

They were fresh off a little mix up on Ord Mantell. Cid needed their help with a little mix up with some other leaders in the underground circle. The group aided her in getting her bar back, and the spice that went missing on Cid's behalf. Everything was sorted and the group was back out again, on their way to do a job for Cid.

Cora walked into the hull from the back where she cleaned her gear. She was now looking over some notes that Cid gave them for their next job. She brushed past Hunter as she glanced to him, watching for a moment as he flicked the sharp blade between his fingers. He looked up and smirked to her, she sat down next to him and watched as Omega tried to flip the device she used to fix the droid, just how Hunter did.

Things had been a little off between Cora and Hunter. She kept her distance for the time being because she felt horrible for slapping him across the face. Hunter noticed this and gave her the space she needed. Although both wanted to be near each other, and talk about something, anything, just to feel the odd void that lifted in their chests as they steered clear of each other.

"How's Gonky?" Cora asked Omega, trying to avoid the gaze of Hunter in the dim ship.

"Fine." Omega shrugged, "still trying to get his battery running to full capacity."

"Have you asked Tech?" Cora placed the pad next to her, leaning her forearms on her knees.

Omega looked to Cora, "Yeah, but he's busy with another project."

"Typical." Hunter mumbled with a chuckle.

A comm beeped across the ship as Echo spoke from the cockpit. "We're being hailed." He announced. "It's... Rex."

Cora sat up straight as Hunter placed the blade back in its holder on his arm. She stood quickly as her heart raced, wondering why Rex was looking for them. She reached the cockpit as Hunter and Omega followed her. The Sergeant stood next to the Senator as he nodded to Echo to patch it through. Wrecker stood from his seat watching as the blue hologram came to life.

Rex had his poncho on, his hood up, glancing around quickly before he looked to the squad. Cora felt a sense of relief wash over her as she saw that he was at least still alive and well.

"Hello, boys. Cora." He nodded quickly. "Sorry to cut right to it, but I could use your help."

"What do you need, Captain?" Hunter asked.

"I received a distress signal from a clone trooper," he glanced around again, his eyes slits under his hood. "But I'm a bit tied up at the moment to retrieve him."

"You want us to recover a reg?" Hunter questioned.

"He's an old friend, and he's in trouble." Rex told him. "I need you to get him out. A simple extraction just the like the old days, Cora." He smiled under his hood.

Cora looked to Rex as they locked eyes for a moment. She missed him.

Hunter studied Rex for a moment. "Out of what exactly?" A drew out, unsure of what kind of trouble this trooper was in.

A comm started to beep on Rex's end. He frantically turned it off and looked around. "Can't talk right now. Sending you his signal. I'll be in touch." Rex suddenly disappeared as the signal went dead.

"What was that about?" Wrecker looks to Hunter who was deep in thought.

Cora let a breath out, only now did she realize she was holding her breath. "The distress signal send by CC-5576 is originating from Daro." Tech said, he turned back to the group. "A terrestrial planet in the Outer Rim with no known settlements or installations."