Chapter 60

"Attack the Capitol? Wha— that was my plan!" Wrecker's voice boomed in the ship.

The group stood in the hull of the ship as Hera and Omega just finished telling the squad their plan, which Cora helped guide them through a plan. The Senator stood next to the two girls, her eyes never falling on Hunter, but she felt his eyes glance her way a few times. She shifted her weight on her feet as she placed a hand on her hip.

"Not the Capitol, the Imperial refinery on the outskirts." Omega corrected.

Chopper moved closer and projected an image of the refinery. "I've been spying on their activity. I know their routine." She looked around to the men as she pointed to the map. "If we attack there, reinforcements will be diverted from the Capitol."

"We can use that distraction to rescue Hera's parents." Omega said with full confidence to Hunter, who leaned his back on the panel behind him, his arms crossed.

"Any heavy defences at the refinery?" Echo asked leaning from his chair.

"Five perimeter cannons, but they are unmanned." Hera told him.

"Auto cannons are extremely vulnerable." Tech spoke up to Hunter. His attention turned back to Hera and Omega. "Where is the control console?"

"Right inside the main gate." Hera pointed to her map again. "It is heavily guarded but Chopper can slip inside with the other droids and disable the cannons."

Everyone looked to Hunter, even Cora. She watched as he was thinking and taking in their plan. His eyes were down, his hand on his chin, his brows knit together.

"All right." Hunter finally said looking to the two young girls. "You two go with Chopper as backup, but at a distance." His voice was stern as the two girls faces lit up.

"Really?" They both said with excitement. Chopper joined in their enthusiasm and chattered.

"By... themselves?" Tech questioned his Sergeant.

"Tech, Wrecker, Echo. Wait until those cannons are down and move in." Hunter pushed himself up, ignoring Tech's question. "Cora and I will scale the Capitol wall and free Hera's parents." Cora glanced to him as Hunter looked down to Hera. "I guess we'll follow your lead." Hera nodded to Hunter and smiled.

Everyone got themselves ready, grabbing their gear and getting their blasters prepared for anything. Cora slipped to the back and picked her blaster apart, getting it cleaned and ready to go. Echo joined her after a moment and the air became thick with silence.

"Hey, I'm uhh..." Echo avoided eye contact as Cora looked up to him. "I'm sorry for accusing you."

Cora scanned his face. Hunter must have mentioned something because their argument wasn't as big as hers and Hunter's. "It's okay." She hummed smiling to him. "These times are weird, it's hard to trust anyone anymore."

"You can trust us." Echo said looking to her. "You can trust Hunter."

Cora looked down and placed her blaster on her hip. "I know." She said before walking past him and walking off the ship.

~

The walk to the Capitol was horrible. Hunter nor Cora said a word, not even sharing a glance to each other. Cora had a question begging to be asked in her head, but she feared another argument.

"Did you only bring me along so you could keep an eye on me?" She asked after wondering if she should ask it.

Hunter didn't look at her. "No." He said plainly.

"Then why bring me?"

Hunter turned his head to her. "You wanted to help Hera and her parents. So, we're doing just that." He huffed and turned back to the dark road in front of them. "Plus you worked in special ops, in recon. You're the best person for this job."

The Runaway {Hunter} (WATTYS 2022)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara