Chapter 35

Pacing around wasn't something she did often, but she was doing it now. Her mind was buzzing with thoughts as she was lost in her mind again. She was starting to feel better but this job... was setting her back. She never noticed both Wrecker and Echo pass her as she paced back and forth.

"You alright?" Wrecker asked holding his head.

Cora nodded and glanced at him, she saw him wince as he touched his head. "Are you alright?"

Wrecker closed his eyes and waved her off. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine." He walked past her towards the back.

This made her feel even more uneasy.

Wrecker had been having headaches a lot lately, unsure to why, but Cora had a theory. One which she didn't share because she was afraid that if she spoke it, it would become true. So she never questioned him, nor did she discuss her theory as too why his head hurt with Tech, who was trying to find a way to explore their inhibitor chips.

Soon the ship landed, the group stepping out into the hot air. They reached the edge of hilltop where they landed and looked out over the old Ord Mantell city that had been destroyed.

"I have a visual." Tech said as he looked through the binoculars. "I only see one child."

"Poor Muchi." Omega said looking through her own that Hunter had given her. "She looks scared."

"I'm clocking two dozen hostiles. Multiple entry points, with minor fortification." Tech pulled the binoculars down and turned to the group.

"Simple smash and grab like that time on Kuat." Wrecker chuckled. "Easy enough."

Cora glanced at Tech. "I'm not even going to ask." She mumbled.

"I'm in! What are we waiting for?" Omega said eagerly, standing from the spot as Wrecker moved forward l.

"You get back to the ship." Hunter grabbed her shoulder.

"But—"

"That's an order." Hunter said sternly.

Cora agreed, it was safer for the kid to stay away from this mission. She herself wish she could stay away too, but she knew she couldn't.

"Yes, sir." Omega sighed and turned back.

Hunter sighed as he watched Omega stomp back towards the ship. "It's a better idea for her to stay." Cora said.

Hunter looked to her as they joined the rest of the group, who were still scouting the area. "You've been awfully quiet." He pointed out.

Cora glanced away. "Have you guys ever been against a group of Zygerrians before?" The men looked among each other and shook their head no. "Well they aren't fun." Cora sighed.

"I feel like there's more to that statement then what you are letting on." Tech pointed out.

"You were pacing earlier," Echo nodded towards her, "which you never do unless something is bothering you."

Cora hesitated. "This job isn't going to be as easy as you all think."

"Why not?" Wrecker turned to her.

Cora shook her head, taking off her helmet. "I did a mission with General Skywalker, General Kenobi and Commander Tano, along with Rex." She started and looked towards the ground. "It didn't go as planned and General Kenobi, Rex and I were all made into slaves." Her voice became slowly and soft. "They beat us..." Cora hesitated again. "that's how I got the scar on my face."

Her voice was barely a whisper. She looked up as they all watched her. The memory of that mission came back to her like a cold rush of wind.

~

The heat was unbearable. Her skin burned at the heat of the fire next to her. She squinted as she pulled the shovel up and then down again into the ashes that piled next to her.

The mission seemed so easy. Maybe it was too easy. Rex had called for her, convincing the Generals that she would be a great assistance to this mission. The mission was to get Commander Ahsoka Tano's people out of the slavery of the Zygerrian home world. But sometimes their missions don't go as planned, and this was one of those times.

Getting captured and forced to do hard labour was not what Cora signed up for. But here she was.

General Kenobi was on the edge of breaking, he had been zapped and whipped at the hands of their 'Master's', the Zygerrians. She looked over as Rex tried to help one of the prisoners, an older man. His gentle kind nature caught the eyes of the Zygerrian nearby.

He lifted his whip, bringing it down to Rex as he yelled in pain. He was being punished for helping. Cora winced as he was whipped again, her dear friend screaming in pain. She threw the shovel down and quickly moved in front of Rex, as the Zygerrian brought his whip down again.

At first the pain was red hot, hotter then the fire. She closed her eyes and stumbled back, the fire of the whip spread across her face as she fell back into the arms of Rex. She lowered her head, her hand going to the right side of her face. She cried in pain as she felt the arms of Rex around her. The Zygerrian was satisfied enough by causing pain to two of the slaves in front of him, leaving the two alone.

Rex watched as Cora turned to him, blood dripping down her face as her face was flush and red. The whip had cracked down on her face, breaking the skin but thankfully not damaging her eye. But the pain was unbearable. She tried not to cry, because it hurt to cry. Rex held her as she struggled to bring herself back to composure, the pain clouding her mind.

~

"I'm just nervous." Cora admitted. "The last time we thought it was easy, but it wasn't."

"Nothing is going to happen." Hunter told her.

"We've done worse." Wrecker said trying to cheer her up.

"And stupider." Tech mumbled.

"The point is," Echo looked to the Senator, "the faster we get in, the quicker we can get out."

"Just..." Cora hesitated, "don't get caught. Please." She begged, placing her helmet back on her head.

The boys looked to each other. Cora was genuinely concerned for their well-being, so they listened and took it to heart.

They finally moved down the valley, jumping down from the mountain and stopping down in a shadowed area. "Echo, you're the eyes in the sky." Hunter turned as they stopped. "Wrecker, draw the Zygerrian forces out. Tech, Cora and I will grab the kid."

"Not a problem." Wrecker chuckled turning away.

Cora kept her body low, sneaking around the corner as Hunter followed close behind. She followed Tech as he led the three through the rocks and ruins of the old city. Hunter moved towards the front as he stopped, his had on the rock they leaned against.

"Echo, sitrep."

"Two roving patrols on speeders." Echo replied over comms. "First guard checkpoint dead ahead." He went silent. "Hang on. I think I've got company."

"Well, take care of it. Quietly." Hunter demanded as they hid behind the rocks.

Before the worst thoughts could come to Cora, Echo yelled over comms and groaned. Cora stood and turned towards his direction and saw Echo fall from his spot, hitting the rocks below.

"Echo!" She yelled as something shrieked above them.

"Watch out!" Hunter yelled.

Pulling their blasters, they looked to the sky as a brezak jumped down. It whipped its tail out as Hunter, Cora and Tech all ducked but Wrecker was flung into a pile of rocks. Hunter began to shoot at the monster, as Cora looked worriedly towards her teammate. She felt frozen. Her head turned towards a shadow that moved as she was now face to face with a Zygerrian.

Before she could turn to warn the others, they held their bows out to them, ready to fire. One fired a shock net to Tech, Hunter and her. It pushed through their bodies as they fell to the ground, groaning in pain. Before she knew it, the world around her went dark as she saw Hunter, Tech, and Wrecker, all lay lifeless next to her.

The one thing she wished wouldn't happen again, was happening before her eyes.