Chapter 3

Soon, the group made it out of the cavern and towards a wooded area that would be the best place to shelter down for the time being. Kix and Cora lay Cody under a tree for him to rest, while the others started up a fire for the night. Cora placed her helmet next to Cody and tended to his wounds again so he could rest.

"You'll be alright Commander." She assured as she patted his shoulder.

As she stood from where Cody lay, Rex approached her. "How is he?" He asked glancing behind her to the Commander.

Cora shook her head. "Not good. We should call Evac, for his sake." Rex looked to her, worry painting his face. "You never fully told me why you wanted me on this mission, Rex."

Rex turned his attention back to Cora, his eyes shifted to her then away. "You might think I was crazy."

"Hm," Cora folded her arms across her chest, "it wouldn't be the first time." She joked.

Rex sighed. "I think Echo's alive."

Cora loosened her body, her face went blank as she looked at Rex. "Echo? But Rex he-"

"I know Cora." He put his hand up. "Every counterattack from the Separatist has his name written all over it. It's plans we made together."

Cora saw how much he believed of Echo being alive. It was something that Cora couldn't shoot down, but then again, Rex could have been right. There had been so many losses on their side, too many. Cora remembered Echo, she never forgot him. He was among the best in Rex's squad, which she was a part of for a while. She enjoyed training and having fun with Echo. His death hit both Rex and Cora hard. If there was a chance that he was alive, she was willing to help in any way she could.

"And what if he isn't? What if the Separatist just know us by now?" She couldn't help but ask.

Rex sighed again, rubbing his temples. "Then I'm not sure how to turn the tide of this war."

Cora nodded. She knew how much this meant to Rex, and she was happy enough to even be reunited with him. Cody groaned again causing Rex to be by his side, leaving Cora standing alone as darkness came over the woods. Taking a deep breath she saw Jesse and Kix chatting with themselves, Crosshair, Tech and Wrecker were with each other, each doing their own thing. Glancing around their camp she saw Hunter up near the hill towards another valley, kneeling down, looking to the ground.

With a wondering mind, Cora made her way up the hill with Hunter. He picked at the dirt and seemed very focused on the valley beyond them. "I don't mean to interrupt," Cora said softly, "but I have to ask, what are you doing?"

Hunter stood from his spot and turned to Cora, "Tracking the way to the Cyber Center."

"You can sense it?" She questioned.

"I can feel it." Hunter told her, which earned an extremely confused face from Cora. "The energy waves and electronic frequencies from the Center, I can feel them through the ground."

"Huh." Cora nodded, "Fascinating."

Hunter chuckled, "You sound like Tech." He turned back towards the valley where the moons were starting to shine from the sky. "You seem to know the Captain well." He pointed out.

"Me and Rex go way back." Cora turned towards the moons, "He taught me everything I know, so if I'm a bad fighter," she smirked, "blame him."

Hunter chuckled and looked to Cora. "You sure aren't like any Senator I've ever met."

Cora smiled softly as Hunter locked eyes with her. He was an interesting man, there was something there that made Cora feel safe. The feeling that she could trust him.

"Put him down!" The two heard Rex yell from the campsite. Both Hunter and Cora turned to the site and saw Wrecker holding up Jesse up over his head. Crosshair had Kix in a headlock, causing Kix to try and push out of his grasp. Tech tried his best to get his group to stop, but Rex just tugged on Wreckers arms, trying to get his squad mate down.

"Oh dear." Cora said as Hunter made his way down the hill towards camp. Following Hunter, she felt the anger and hostility in the camp as they moved closer.

"Wrecker, drop him. Now." Hunter demanded. Every man turned to Hunter as Wrecker groaned and slammed Jesse down from his grasp.

"Guys, come on!" Cora said putting her hands on her hips. "We're all fighting for the same thing. Right?" All the men turned to Cora as she scowled them.

Hunter sighed next to her, "Let's cut the chatter and finish what we started." Hunter turned to Rex, "We'll do it your way Captain. For Commander Cody."

"Okay." Rex hesitated as he looked around the clones around him, "Let's gear up and move out." Rex stomped back towards Cody where his gear was.

Cora glanced at Hunter who gave her a look. This was going to be a long mission. Looking back towards Rex, she joined him, grabbing her helmet from the ground.

"Those men have very little discipline." Rex huffed.

"They're different." She shrugged.

"I've never encountered clones as disrespectful as them."

"Oh come on Rex," Cora sighed, "you were once like that. What about the things you do with General Skywalker? They're just different, there's nothing wrong with that."

Rex looked towards the Senator and shook his head. "You will always have a soft spot for us Clones."

Cora smiled and shrugged, placing her helmet on her head. "You clones, are all I've got."