Chapter 17:

{unedited}

I ignore the messages and place my phone back in the bag and leave it. Alex has always been bad at showing his feelings....maybe he's acting like this because something is going on....

I slap a smile on my face and walk into the kitchen where I hear sizzling. I sit on the stool by the island and it makes a creek sound which causes Scarlett to turn around suddenly.

'Hey hey, it's just me, no need to attack' I raise my arms in a surrender pose jokingly. Scarlett laughs her addicting laugh and I everything softens again.

'What's wrong?' Shes sees right through my facade and I'm forced to tell her. But I don't want her to do anything that can get her in trouble.

'Just Alex messaging me to see where I am. I kind of said that I was going out to get Mc Donald's..' I smile to try and ease the situation but I feel a tension building in the room.

'Yeah...yeah I heard-you need to block his number Y/n' She quickly brushes past the start of the sentence but I'm already taken aback. I thought I muted my phone...

'Wait you heard everything?' I ask to see if what I heard was correct. I didn't want her hearing it...especially everything he said.

She hesitates and her eyes dart between me and the island. 'I didn't mean to hear...if something happened to you in there it would have meant that I could have come in and-'

I cut her off 'And save me? Am I a helpless puppy for you to fix or something?' I can already feel my tears start to fill my eyes. I don't know what's coming over me. I don't know why I'm all of a sudden so mad.

Scarlett's face drops and she steps toward me 'No, of course not darling. You mean more to me than you can imagine'

'What did you hear exactly?' I stand and wait for her response. 'What part of the interaction did you hear?' I can feel my throat burning. I don't want to cry again. I really don't.

She stops and hesitates once more '...all of it'

I nod and a few tears fall 'I'm going to go and sleep for a bit, I'm not hungry anymore' I leave before she can say anything and grab my bag. I walk upstairs and find a guest bedroom before changing into the top and leggings that I brought, along with some underwear. I don't know why I'm so mad. I didn't want her to hear it, she knew I didn't. But she listened anyway. What am I doing?

I then take the towel in the guest bedroom and pat it on my hair to dry it as much as possible. I have no motivation to sit there and dry it. I then slide onto the bed and cover myself with the blankets and quilt, facing away from the door. I don't know what time it is, nor do I care. I'm just going to sleep, maybe that will help everything.

Wasteful optimism.

I close my eyes and before I knew it. I was out like I light.

'You left me Y/n and look what I did. You left me' I hear a whisper in darkness that grew louder and louder as it repeated. and repeated.

'What?' I walk through the blackness confused. The darkness then fades and a light shines in the distance, I run to it and stop in my tracks when I see Alex.

'....You left me Y/n Brown...and look what happened' He holds out his arms and blood starts pouring down them. I look down at my hand and I'm holding a bloody knife, I can't describe the feeling that run through my body.

'Alex...' I look up and step to him, he's pale, sweating, holding on for life. I pull him into a a hug and he feels cold, lifeless.

'I'm the only one that was here for you....but you pushed me away....now I'm gone for good' He breathily says as he goes limp. I feel myself starting to panic.