25

Analia Rayne ||

I'm staring at a box.

A present box.

For my birthday, which was two days ago.

She said she wanted to give it to me on my birthday, but she didn't know where I was.

She's sober right now.

If that wasn't obvious.

I haven't gotten beaten yet.

I stand there staring at the box wondering what's inside. "Open it, honey. Don't be silly."

I look at her and back to the box. I start unwrapping it and once I open it I see it's this set of mickey mouse baking bowls I wanted.

When I was 13.

"I wanted this 5 years ago, mom," I put my hands on the island staring at her intensely.

"I know. I know. I'm just trying to make up for the years I wasn't the best to you," she walks over putting her hand on mine. I quickly recover my hand.

At least she's self aware.

Just get it over with, Analia.

"Mom you need help."

She looks at me startled and giggles, "No, I'm perfectly fine. Don't you see? I'm two weeks sober."

Soon that will all be thrown down the trash. She's done this before. She can only make it two weeks and finds an excuse to drink again. Talking about a holiday that isn't even true, someone's birthday, a family member's friend's birthday. Any excuse.

"But one little shot won't kill me though. It's for your birthday. You can take one with me," she says pulling out her fancy shot glasses.

What did I say?

"Mom. That's not how being sober works. You have to stay sober for the rest of your life. That is how you get better. You don't just decide today is the day I'm going to drink again and be okay."

"Oh, come on honey. It won't hurt me," she starts filling up the glasses.

"Mom, no."

She stops filling up the glasses and lifts her eyes from them. She looks at me for a second before she takes a deep breath in and breathes it out.

She places the alcohol down and walks away. I look down into the hallway to see where she went.

I'm confused.

She comes back out with a box in her hands.

Now I'm even more confused.

"You act like you are any better. I know your little secret," she opens the box, and there lie empty bags of once we're filled coke, weed in bags, and pipes.

I quickly close the box not wanting to be tempted.

Soon a chilling feeling crawls up on my back.