Chapter 39

The plane ride had been exhausting to Angel and he wasn't even sure why. For some reason it felt like everyone had been staring at him at the airport which was totally untrue.

It was just the after effect of being cooped up in the same place for three whole months. He felt winded and confused as his brain sizzled with the sight of something more than the extravagant buildings that were Crownswill's.

He had to do a double take of his surroundings because everything felt a bit unfamiliar which wasn't far from the truth since he wasn't exactly conversant with the country that was Belgium.

Even the flight had passed in a blur, most of it he spent listening to music and wishing he could take his mind off of the brown haired boy he had no business thinking of.

Maybe that was the thing that exhausted him the most, the constant thoughts of Diego. Angel couldn't help but wonder if he was home yet, what country he planned to spend the holiday at, and if he really was going to spend Christmas on his own. The thought broke his heart.

As soon as his mom and him had gotten off the plane, he'd removed his phone from flight mode and gone ahead to send his friends a text, telling them that he'd arrived.

Most of them had arrived earlier on seeing as they lived somewhere in Europe, unlike Angel who lived on a whole other continent.

The only other person who was still on a plane was Fay who was spending the holiday in India with her mom's relatives.

As soon as they'd gotten their luggage, they booked it out of the airport, and Manow called a cab to take them home.

The side of Angel's face rested on the cab's window as he watched them zoom past stores, supermarkets, hotels and office buildings.

Toronto hadn't changed one bit, and Angel felt a sense of relief at that. He didn't know what he had been expecting but he was glad that something in his life still remained the same.

The cabbie pulled up to their house and they got their luggages out, paid the driver and thanked him for his services.

Angel stopped for a moment to stare at his fairly large white coloured one storey house, too big for a family of two.

His house gave him mixed feelings. On one hand it was were his childhood memories lay, the times were he was allowed to do whatever he wanted without being criticized or judged for it. On the other hand it held memories of the man he was supposed to call his father, the one who tarnished his childhood and made sure to curse him out every day for how he turned out.

The man who made Angel a shell of his childhood self. The one who physically and mentally abused him instead of being there for him like a father should be.

His mom nudged him, snapping him out of his thoughts.

He gave her a strained smile at her look of concern, and then proceeded to roll his boxes in. His mom helped out with the remaining items on the curb, and together they hurled them to the front of their red door were Manow shoved their house key in.

After she had gotten the door open, they both made their way in.

The smell of his home hit him in a wave sending a trail of nostalgia his way. The smell of a little too much air freshener and lots of spices appeased his senses.

It had only been three months but it felt like longer to Angel. He fell on his cream coloured couch, his eyes flicking past his surroundings.

"Son Chai, I'm sure you're hungry, I made your favourite Thai dish," Manow said dropping her purse on the counter to take the food out of the fridge.