48

hiii:) sorry I've been sick lately loves

Chapter 48

Rowan's POV.

I was fine. It was a small fluke.

"Hey, can I put the radio back on?" She asks, pulling her hands out from mine and I lift mine back to the steering wheel. Nodding.

"Are Sutton and Fran gonna be home when we get back?" She asks.

I nod again, clearing my throat. "They should be."

"What er..." Lottie looks at me carefully. "Do you think Sutton will ask, like what's going on with us?"

"Probably." I say. "Just tell him you don't know, that's my plan."

She looks at me. "We don't know?"

I hear it again, the tone. The tone that confuses the fuck out of me because I know her. I know Lottie. She doesn't want strings right now.

We talked about it. We have talked about the fact she was just having fun. Sutton, Lots and I sat eating McDonalds (they ate) one-night ages ago and we talked about what relationships looked like for us in the future.

It was after she brought that plant to put under her pillow, the one that would show her true love or some shit.

She said she hopes it doesn't, that she's so down for some fun at the moment.

I gathered that might be what she wanted here.

Not that I am that guy. Which she knows as well.

But also, I say things, to keep this neutral, to not scare her away.

And she looks at me with that look that says ouch.

Like I don't understand.

I swallow. "Or literally tell him whatever you want Lots."

"Oh, that we're just messing around?"I look at her, she's staring at my face, a little determined squint in her eyes.

I can't help but smile slightly, just at the fierceness.

"Sure."

She sighs. "I will just distract from the question unless you're there, then you can deal with it."

"We can just tell him nothing is going on and that we don't know what he's talking about."

"Pretty sure that's called gaslighting Roe, let's not do that to our pal."

I smile then, looking at her. "Lottie, we can be whatever you want. You know this right?"

"Ew, go away."

I laugh, my eyes watching the cars as we stay very carefully on our side of the road. I shake my head. "Sorry I guess."

I don't understand her.

"So what?" She says. "They'll be there when we get home?"

"I already said this."

"Alright, alright. Just, are they back together properly?"

"Mhm, think so." I say. "Didn't you see Sutton like yesterday?" I ask her.

"Yeah but he was a little closed off about the Fran stuff."

"Oh really?"

"Like he told me to shut up and tell him about my uni stuff."

"Oh he might have just been trying to be considerate?"